There are so many reasons to love this healthy chocolate peanut butter smoothie. The texture is thick and creamy (thanks to a secret ingredient); the flavor rich and chocolate-y; the prep easy; and the ingredients nutritious. One sip and you’ll find yourself making this chocolate banana smoothie morning after morning.
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
- What You'll Love About this Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Chocolate Smoothie Ingredients
- How to Make Chocolate Banana Smoothie
- Storage Instructions
- What to Serve with Chocolate Banana Smoothie
- Want More?
- More Easy Breakfast Recipes
- Let me Meal Plan for you!
What You’ll Love About this Healthy Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie
- Rich chocolate flavor
- Subtly sweet, but easy to adjust
- Thick and creamy texture
- Made with nutritious ingredients
- Takes just 5 minutes to make
Chocolate Smoothie Ingredients
- Milk – You can use any type of milk that you prefer. Use whole milk, skim milk, or your favorite milk alternatives like almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, etc.
- Bananas – For the best texture, slice and freeze your bananas so you can make this chocolate peanut butter smoothie with the frozen bananas.
- Cauliflower – Frozen cauliflower is another great way to add creamy texture, bulk, and veggies to your smoothie, without adding any flavor. It might sound weird, but it works surprisingly well.
- Peanut Butter – Use your favorite type of peanut butter. Because you’re blending everything together, either crunchy or creamy will work.
- Dates – The dates help to add caramel-y sweetness to the smoothie. You could also use honey, maple syrup, or any other type of sweetener.
- Chia Seeds – The chia seeds aren’t necessary to this recipe, but it’s a great and easy way to add protein, fiber, and omega-3’s to your breakfast.
- Cocoa Nibs – Cocoa nibs also aren’t 100% necessary, but I love the rich chocolate flavor and crunchy texture that they add.
- Cocoa Powder – Look for 100% cocoa powder, this is where we get our chocolate flavor.
- Protein Powder – This is optional, but I always add some collagen to my smoothies for a protein boost.
How to Make Chocolate Banana Smoothie
This is an overview on how to make this peanut butter chocolate smoothie, the detailed instructions can be found below in the recipe card.
Is a chocolate peanut butter smoothie healthy?
As someone with a degree in Nutrition, I appreciate this question…but it’s also so hard to answer as health is so different from person to person. So what is healthy for me may not be healthy for you. And I truly believe that all foods can fit in a healthy lifestyle. With that said, this smoothie is packed with fruits, vegetables, protein and plenty of nutritious add-ins like peanut butter and chia seeds. So I would say yes, but it depends what your definition of healthy is. 🙂
Can I make this into a chocolate smoothie bowl?
Yes, similar to the acai bowl, you’ll want to make a super thick smoothie, so be sure to use the frozen banana and cauliflower and use less milk. You may need to play with the liquid level depending on your blender. A more powerful blender will be able to blend it with less liquid. Then transfer into a bowl and top with toppings like sliced banana, cocoa nibs, and granola.
Serve the smoothie immediately.
Can you freeze smoothies?
You can freeze smoothies. I found the best way to do this is to freeze it in a blender bottle and let thaw in the fridge overnight. Then take it out of the fridge and shake periodically until it’s reached your desired consistency.
What to Serve with Chocolate Banana Smoothie
This pb chocolate smoothie can certainly be eaten all on its own, or you can pair it with one of these simple sides:
- Toast – Pair your peanut butter chocolate banana smoothie with a slice or two of toast.
- Hard boiled eggs – Or other breakfast protein like sausages or bacon.
- Coffee – Dirty chai, espresso tonic, or lavender latte.
More Easy Breakfast Recipes
If you like this chocolate smoothie recipe, you might also like some of these other easy and nutritious breakfast recipes:
Let me Meal Plan for you!
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning? It’s time to hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm instead of stressed. Your dinner is planned and your grocery list is made and everything is conveniently delivered to an app so you can print it out, access from your phone, or computer.
You’ll make this healthy chocolate peanut butter smoothie morning after morning as it’s loaded with creamy chocolate flavor.
- 2 cups milk of choice
- 2 frozen bananas (sliced)
- 3/4 cup frozen riced cauliflower
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 pitted dates
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa nibs
- 1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- Optional: protein powder (I prefer collagen powder)
- Add milk, bananas, riced cauliflower, peanut butter, dates, chia seeds, cocoa nibs, and collagen or protein powder if using, in order listed.
- Blend until smooth and serve.
- Garnish with sliced bananas.
- Nutrition facts are an estimate calculated with unsweetened almond milk.
Keywords: healthy chocolate peanut butter smoothie, chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie, chocolate banana smoothie, chocolate smoothie
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!