Learn how to make curry chicken wings! This crispy curry chicken wings recipe comes together in just a few minutes prep and is a delicious spin on traditional wings.
These are totally suitable for a dinner with some air fryer broccoli (yes, we have wings for dinner at our house!), but they are also a great addition to your game day spread. Serve them up with chili cheese dip, whipped lemon feta dip, or Chipotle copycat corn salsa.
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About Curry Chicken Wings
- Curry Chicken Wings Recipe Ingredients
- How to Make Curry Chicken Wings
- How to Cook Curry Chicken Wings in Air Fryer
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storage Instructions
- What to Serve with Curry Chicken Wings
- More Easy Appetizer Recipes
- Helpful Tools to Make Curry Wings
What You’ll Love About Curry Chicken Wings
- Interesting and different flavor for wings
- Crispy chicken skin
- Made with basic ingredients
- Takes just 5 minutes to prep
Curry Chicken Wings Recipe Ingredients
These baked curry chicken wings are made with just 8 basic ingredients that you can find at any grocery store:
- Sugar – We’re using a granulated white sugar. You could also use coconut sugar or brown sugar if you prefer.
- Curry powder – You can use your favorite curry powder. I’ve used S&B Oriental Curry Powder as I think it’s a great general curry seasoning.
- Corn starch – This helps create a crispy chicken wing.
- Sea salt
- Baking powder – This is another ingredient that helps create a crispy skin. (It’s also used in my dry brine spatchcock turkey recipe.)
- Garlic powder – You could also use onion powder.
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper – Optional, if you want to add a bit of heat.
- Chicken wings – Look for chicken wing sections, preferably that are already split apart into wingettes and drumettes.
- Olive oil – We just need a mist, so use an olive oil spritzer, Pam cooking spray, or coconut oil spray.
How to Make Curry Chicken Wings
Let’s get to the good stuff – how to make baked curry chicken wings! The full instructions can be found below in the recipe card, here’s an overview:
- Mix together curry wing dust. In a large mixing bowl, mix together sugar, curry powder, cornstarch, sea salt, baking powder, garlic powder, black pepper, and cayenne pepper if using.
- Coat chicken wings. Add wings to bowl and toss until all wings are coated.
- Bake curry wings. Place wings on a sheet pan with cooling rack in a single layer. Bake wings for 45-60 minutes, flipping after 25 minutes.
- Serve. Garnish with green onion if desired.
How to Cook Curry Chicken Wings in Air Fryer
Prefer to cook your curry chicken wingettes in the air fryer? You certainly can! Season and prep the wings the same way, but cook in the air fryer at 360 degrees F for 24 minutes (flip after 12 minutes), then increase heat to 390 and cook another 6 minutes, until crispy and cooked through.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to get crispy chicken skin?
We’re using a few tricks for crispy wings! The first is in the wing coating. Both the corn starch and baking powder help to create a crispy and crunchy skin.
The second is in the baking sheet. Instead of placing the wings directly on the pan so they sit in the juice (not a bad thing, but doesn’t help them get crispy), we place them on top of a cooling rack so that the hot air from the oven can completely circulate around the wings.
TIP: While you may think that spraying the wings can result in a crispy coating, for this recipe, it doesn’t help and actually prevented them from getting crispy! Spray the cooling rack before you put the wings on there.
What kind of curry powder should you use?
I’ve used S&B Oriental Curry Powder, which is made up of the following:
Turmeric, Coriander, Fenugreek, Cumin, Orange Peel, Pepper, Chili Pepper, Cinnamon, Fennel, Ginger, Star Anise, Thyme, Bay Leaves, Cloves, Nutmeg, Sage, Cardamom
What temperature should you cook wings to?
While most chicken recipes will instruct you to cook until 165 degrees F, dark meat is best when it’s cooked to 175 degrees F. Dark meat is safe to eat at 165 degrees F but is better when you let it cook to 175-185 degrees F to fully let the fat and collagen break down. Total time will vary.
Are curry chicken wings dairy-free?
While traditional buffalo wings are tossed in a buffalo and butter sauce, these chicken wings are dairy-free.
How many calories in curry chicken wings?
The full nutrition stats can be found below the recipe card.
Store leftover oven baked curry chicken wings in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to reheat
Reheat the wings in a 375 degree F oven until heated through.
Can you freeze curry chicken wings?
Yes, you can freeze curry chicken wings in an airtight container (stasher bags and glass storage containers are great) for 2-3 months.
What to Serve with Curry Chicken Wings
Unlike traditional buffalo wings, I don’t think these curry dry rub chicken wings need a sauce or ranch, but a mint yogurt sauce (raita) would be a good option. Then serve them with some raw veggies.
- Sliced cucumber
- Celery sticks
- Red bell pepper strips
More Easy Appetizer Recipes
If you like this curry wings recipe, you might also like some of these other appetizer recipes:
Menu Plans by My Everyday Table can help you out.
The plan addresses three major issues when it comes to weeknight dinners: having a plan, time, and one family meal.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and feel calm when 5pm hits because your dinner is already planned.
Helpful Tools to Make Curry Wings
- Sheet Pan with Cooling Rack – The cooling rack is key to ensure the heat can completely surround your curry chicken wings in oven and they don’t end up mushy.
- Instant Read Meat Thermometer – The best way to tell when this baked curry chicken wings recipe is cooked perfectly.
How to Make Curry Chicken Wings
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Indian
Learn how to make curry chicken wings! This delicious and flavorful curry chicken wings recipe can be prepped in just 5 minutes.
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 3 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 lbs. chicken wing sections
- olive oil spritzer
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prepare baking dish. Place a wire rack on a sheet pan lined with foil. Spray rack with olive oil.
- In a large bowl, stir together cornstarch, curry powder, sugar, sea salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper if using.
- Toss with chicken wings until evenly coated and spread out on wire rack, with ample space between the wings so they aren’t touching.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, flipping after 25 minutes.
- Cook until they reach 175 degrees F. Dark meat is safe to eat at 165 degrees F but is better when you let it cook to 175 degrees F.
Keywords: curry chicken wings, curry chicken wings recipe, how to make curry chicken wings
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!
Photo Credit: All photos in this post were take by Loren at Sweet Rustic Bakes
Did you like this recipe? Please leave a review and let me know what you thought! I appreciate it so much.