You’ll love this summer fresh basil pesto chicken recipe! This is no boring old chicken dinner, this pesto chicken breast is topped with pesto, mozzarella cheese and baked until melty. Then it’s topped with a fresh tomato topping, highlighting the best summer flavors. Make this pesto mozzarella chicken with just 5 basic ingredients and 20 minutes.
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Table of Contents
What is Pesto Chicken?
This baked pesto chicken breast is a delicious way to enjoy pesto any time of the year. Chicken breast cutlets are topped with pesto and mozzarella cheese and baked together and finished with a fresh tomato topping.
What You’ll Love about Pesto Mozzarella Chicken
- Bright pesto flavor
- Satisfying meal
- Made with just 5 ingredients
- Just 5 minutes to prep
- 20 minute dinner
Basil Pesto Chicken Recipe Ingredients
This basil pesto tomato mozzarella chicken bake is made with just 5 simple ingredients:
- Chicken breasts – Use chicken cutlets or cut a chicken breast in half lengthwise
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Pesto – Use homemade or prepared pesto
- Fresh mozzarella – Regular mozzarella will also work, but fresh is preferred
- Tomatoes – Use any type of tomato, whatever is fresh and best
- Olive oil
How to Make Pesto Chicken Breast
This tomato pesto chicken comes together in just 20 minutes:
- Season chicken breast. Season chicken with sea salt and black pepper.
- Bake chicken and pesto. Spread pesto on each chicken breast and bake for 10 minutes. Top with mozzarella cheese and bake for another 3-4 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Prep tomato topping. Chop tomatoes and toss with olive oil. Season with sea salt to taste.
- Serve basil pesto tomato chicken. Top chicken with fresh tomatoes and serve.
PRO TIP: If you use a regular-sized chicken breast, the cooking time will take longer.
Store any leftover chicken with pesto sauce in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to reheat
Gently reheat the chicken in a 350 degree F oven, or in the microwave, just until warmed through.
Can you freeze pesto chicken breast?
Yes, you can also freeze pesto chicken breast without the tomatoes for 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
How to Serve Basil Pesto Chicken Recipe to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in. 😉
For younger kids who may not love their food mixed, you can serve the components of this basil pesto mozzarella chicken separately. For example: cut up chicken breast, pieces of mozzarella cheese, a dollop of pesto, and tomato toppings.
Personally, I don’t usually take apart dishes like this, but they are welcome to taking off the toppings if they want to (but I’m not going to do it for them!).
What Goes Well with Pesto Chicken?
Wondering what to serve with chicken and pesto recipes like this one? Try one of these healthy side dishes:
More Easy Chicken Recipes
If you like this baked basil pesto chicken recipe, you might also like some of these other easy chicken dinner recipes:
- Bruschetta Chicken Pasta
- Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
This EASY basil pesto chicken recipe with mozzarella highlights summer flavors like pesto and tomatoes. This is a delicious 20 minute dinner!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line baking dish with foil and spray with olive oil spritzer.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of pesto on each piece of chicken. Bake for 10 minutes. Lay mozzarella cheese on top of pesto and bake for another 3-4 minutes, until chicken is cooked through to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Set aside.
- While pesto chicken is baking, make fresh tomato topping. Chop tomatoes, discarding seeds if desired and toss with olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt.
- Chicken breasts – Aim for smaller chicken breasts, about 6 oz. per breast, or cut large chicken breasts in half lengthwise.
Keywords: basil pesto chicken, basil pesto chicken recipe, pesto chicken recipe, pesto chicken breast, pesto mozzarella chicken