Learn how to grill potatoes for the best summer side dish! These EASY grilled potatoes in foil take just a few minutes to prep and are ready to eat in less than 30 minutes. Assemble the grilled potato packets (cut potatoes, season, and make packets), grill, and EAT! Season this grilled potatoes recipe with your favorite seasoning blend, depending on what you’re having it with, any seasoning will work! Serve up the foil packet potatoes on grill with your favorite grilled protein like grilled chicken drumsticks, grilled chicken thighs, or flank steak salad.
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Table of Contents
- 5 Grilling Secrets You Need to Know!
- Can you Grill Potatoes?
- What You’ll Love about Grilled Potato Packets
- Grilled Potatoes In Foil Ingredients
- How to Grill Potatoes
- Storage Instructions
- What to Serve with Grilled Potatoes Recipe
- More Easy Side Recipes
- Helpful Tools to Make Foil Packet Potatoes on Grill
5 Grilling Secrets You Need to Know!
Get the quick-start guide so you can grill like a pro without going to culinary school.
Can you Grill Potatoes?
Yes! It’s a great way to prep potatoes in the summer, too. I prefer to make grilled potato packets so that nothing falls through the grill grates, and I think you will too, they are super easy and super delicious!
What You’ll Love about Grilled Potato Packets
- Yummy roasted potato flavor
- Versatile so you can add whatever flavor seasoning you want
- Easy with just a few minutes of prep
- No need to heat up the kitchen in the summer
- The perfect side to grilled protein
Grilled Potatoes In Foil Ingredients
You’ll need just 4 ingredients to make these potatoes on the grill:
- Baby red potatoes – You could also use any other baby potatoes
- Olive oil
- Garlic pepper seasoning – Use any garlic-based seasoning
- Butter – This gives the grilled potatoes amazing flavor
How to Grill Potatoes
Ok, let’s get to how to grill potatoes:
- Prep. Preheat grill and quarter baby potatoes.
- Assemble grilled potato packets. Divide potatoes on 4 pieces of aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil, season with seasoning, and dot with butter.
- Grill. Grill foil packet potatoes until potatoes are tender, about 15-25 minutes.
How long to grill potatoes in foil?
You may be wondering…how long to cook potatoes on grill?! And the answer will vary depending on the size of the potatoes and the heat of the grill.
For these foil wrapped potatoes on the grill, we are cutting them into smaller pieces so that they cook faster. If your potatoes are bigger, they’ll take longer, but you can just stick a fork or knife in them, when they feel tender, take them off the grill.
PRO TIP: Be sure to open the grilled potato packets after you take them off the grill or they will continue to cook.
Store leftover easy grilled potatoes in a glass storage container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
To reheat the potatoes, saute in a hot skillet or bake at 350 degrees F. to get them crispy.
You can also microwave them, but they won’t be crispy.
What to Serve with Grilled Potatoes Recipe
These potatoes make a great side to a grilled dinner, here are a few to try!
- Grilled Salmon in Foil
- Grilled Chicken Thighs
- Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- Grilled Flank Steak and Arugula Salad
More Easy Side Recipes
If you like diced potatoes on the grill in foil, you might also like some of these other easy side recipes:
- Grilled Vegetables
- Grilled Mexican Street Corn
- Summer Peach Burrata Salad
- Greek Chickpea Salad
- Napa Cabbage Slaw
- 1 1/2 lbs. baby red potatoes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. garlic pepper seasoning
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Quarter baby red potatoes.
- Divide and place potatoes onto piece of aluminum foil.
- Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic pepper seasoning, and top with a pat of butter.
- Roll edges of foil together and then fold up ends, securing the package. (See above for video on this.)
- Grill for 15-25 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- Sprinkle with extra seasoning if desired.
- Be careful when opening up the grilled potato packets as the steam will be hot!