We’re leaning on a few shortcuts to help these Greek pita sandwiches come together SUPER fast! Serve up these pita sandwiches with this Greek chickpea salad for a balanced and delicious meal.
Be sure to tag me when you make it, I love to see your creations! And if you’ve made it, will you please leave it a ⭐️ rating below? It helps me out a ton!❤️
Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Table of Contents
How to Make Greek Pita Sandwiches
Using meatballs in this Greek pita sandwich is a HUGE shortcut! Here’s how to make them:
- Bake meatballs. Bake meatballs according to package instructions.
TIP: Use plain beef meatballs, but if you can only find Italian, don’t stress! They will work just fine.
- Make tzatziki sauce. Grate cucumber and garlic. Stir together seasonings, cucumber, garlic, and olive oil into Greek yogurt. Chill in the refrigerator until serving.
- Make a side dish. See below on side ideas.
Pita Sandwich FAQs
Can I use a different meatball?
Yes, you can certainly use your favorite meatball for these pita sandwiches. If you can’t find plain meatballs, Italian also works. You could also use turkey or chicken meatballs – choose your favorite!
You can also make your own meatballs and use them in these pita wraps. My quinoa and turkey meatballs would work well.
Can I use store-bought tzatziki sauce?
Of course! If you’re looking to simplify this meal even more, definitely grab some store-bought tzatziki. I think homemade is better, but have definitely been known to use store-bought from time to time. 😉
What to Serve with Greek Pita Sandwiches
These easy sandwiches need a simple side! I love serving them with a Greek-inspired salad, but any sort of veggie side will work. Here are a few ideas:
- Chickpea Salad with Feta – This is what I would recommend serving with your Greek pita sandwich. It takes just minutes to make and 5 basic ingredients.
- Garbanzo Bean Salad – This is another Mediterranean salad with flavors that pair well with this Greek sandwich.
- Veggies and Dip – Try out my Greek yogurt veggie dip for a simple dip the kids can whip up.
- Baked French Fries – Make your own or buy a bag of frozen fries for a simple side to this sandwich.
These easy Greek pita sandwich recipe takes just a few minutes to prep and uses meatballs as a simple shortcut!
- 1 lb. beef meatballs (plain, Italian is fine)
- 1/2 english (or hot house) cucumber
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (8 oz)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 teaspoon + 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 4 pita breads
- Bake meatballs according to package instructions. Note: some have a quicker cook time if they are thawed, so determine if you need to save the time and plan ahead.
- Make tzatziki:
Grate 1/2 cup of cucumber with box grater.
Grate 1 clove of garlic with zester or mince as finely as possible.
Stir together cucumber, yogurt, grated garlic, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of dried dill. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until serving.
- Assemble pitas: top pita bread with meatballs and tzatziki sauce. Serve salad on the side.
- You can warm the pita in the microwave (about 30 seconds) or in a hot oven or grill.
- Garlic: you can also use 1/2 tsp garlic powder in the tzatziki instead of fresh garlic.
- Regular cucumber is fine to use, but will need to be peeled.
Keywords: greek pita sandwich, greek pita sandwich recipe