This crockpot cheesy potatoes recipe is loaded with layers of flavors and makes the perfect side for holiday mains like Easter ham or Christmas beef, but are still easy enough for simple weeknight chicken dinners. These crockpot potatoes are made with the same simple ingredients as my cheesy potato casserole recipe, but instead of baking it, we’re letting the slow cooker do the work and saving oven space at the same time.
My slow cooker cheesy potatoes are a hearty comfort food dish that is made easily with diced potato hash browns (a major kitchen shortcut), and then we add major flavor in the form of cream of chicken soup, butter, sour cream, garlic powder, and sharp cheddar cheese for a cheese sauce that brings everything all together. So it’s a nod to the classic easy cheesy potatoes you’re used to, but has a little extra flavor.
Estimated reading time: 8 minutes
- Can You Make Funeral Potatoes in a Crockpot?
- What You'll Love About Easy Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
- How to Make Crockpot Funeral Potatoes
- Storage Instructions
- What to Serve with Crockpot Potatoes
- Want More?
- More Easy Side Dish Recipes
- Let me Meal Plan for you!
Can You Make Funeral Potatoes in a Crockpot?
Yes, you can make cheesy potatoes in the crockpot and it works incredibly well. Ingredients like potatoes, condensed soup, and cheese all lend themselves very well to slow cooker cooking.
What You’ll Love About Easy Crockpot Cheesy Potatoes
- Cheesy and savory flavory
- Tastes like comfort food
- Tender potatoes
- Made with basic ingredients
- Just 10 minutes prep time
- Perfect side dish to almost any main dish
- Family-friendly veggie side
- Diced potatoes – You can absolutely peel and dice your own raw potatoes, but I love using refrigerated hash brown potatoes that are already ready to cook as a smart shortcut. They are usually found in the refrigerated section near eggs and dairy. Frozen potatoes will also work, they just need to be thawed.
- Green onions – The green onions add a mild onion flavor without anything too overpowering for the cheesy potatoes.
- Chicken soup – We’re using condensed cream of chicken soup so you’ll want to look for that or something similar. You can also use cream of mushroom soup if you can’t find cream of chicken.
- Butter – Use high quality butter for best flavor.
- Sour cream – Use high-quality sour cream for best flavor.
- Spices – Garlic powder, sea salt, black pepper
- Cheese – Use sharp cheddar for the best flavor. You can use shredded cheddar cheese to save time or shred your own if you prefer. You could also use any cheddar, colby jack, or even pepper jack for a little spice.
How to Make Crockpot Funeral Potatoes
This is an overview on how to make crockpot cheesy potato casserole, the detailed instructions can be found below in the recipe card.
Can you make cheesy potatoes ahead of time?
Yes, you can prep this crockpot potato recipe ahead and store in the refrigerator until ready to cook or cook the party potatoes completely and reheat before serving.
Can you use fresh potatoes?
Yes, if you prefer to prep your own potatoes, you’ll want to dice them into 1/2 inch cubes. Yukon gold or red potatoes are great options and you can keep peels on or peel them. If you use russet potatoes, be sure to peel them first.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat crockpot cheesy potatoes in a 350 degree F oven or in the microwave until hot.
Can you freeze party potatoes?
Yes, you can store in a freezer container and freeze for 2-3 months. Let thaw before reheating.
Is cheesy potato casserole gluten-free?
Not as written, but if you use gluten-free potatoes (most are, but double check!) and gluten-free cream of chicken soup it will be.
What to Serve with Crockpot Potatoes
These cheesy funeral potatoes go with so many main dishes, which is one of the reasons that everyone loves them so much. Try them with one of these main protein dishes:
More Easy Side Dish Recipes
If you like this crockpot cheesy potato recipe, you might also like some of these other easy side dish recipes:
Let me Meal Plan for you!
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning? It’s time to hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm instead of stressed. Your dinner is planned and your grocery list is made and everything is conveniently delivered to an app so you can print it out, access from your phone, or computer.
This crockpot cheesy potatoes recipe is quick and easy to prep and loaded with rich, buttery, and cheesy flavor! Great side to so many mains.
- Prep ingredients:
Thaw potatoes if frozen.
Thinly slice green onions.
- Add the soup, melted butter, sour cream, garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper to the slow cooker and whisk together.
- Fold in potatoes, green onions, and sharp cheddar cheese.
- Cook on Low for 4-6 hours or High for 3-4 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
Keywords: crockpot cheesy potatoes, cheesy potatoes crockpot, crockpot cheesy potatoes recipe, cheesy crockpot potatoes, crockpot potatoes
Food styling and photography by Loren Runion.
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!