This is the BEST lobster grilled cheese recipe! It’s both bougie and simple and all kinds of decadent and rich. A thick layer of lobster meat is sandwiched between to melty layers of cheese and a simple lemon mayo mixture brings everything together. With expensive ingredients like lobster, I like to keep it simple to let the flavors shine – just like my sauce for lobster ravioli. Try air fryer lobster tails or sous vide lobster tails for two easy lobster preps.
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About Lobster Grilled Cheese
- How to Make Lobster Grilled Cheese
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storage Instructions
- What to Serve with Lobster Grilled Cheese Recipe
- More Sandwich Recipes
What You’ll Love About Lobster Grilled Cheese
- Rich and decadent
- Bougie but simple
- Easy to make
- Made with simple ingredients
Besides the lobster, the ingredients to make this lobster sandwich are pretty basic:
- Lobster – Use a high quality, good lobster tail. You can use two 4-oz. tails or one large, 8 oz. tail. And the lobster can be frozen or fresh lobster meat. If you want to turn it into a crab and lobster grilled cheese, swap out some of the lobster for some crab meat.
- Mayonnaise – Use your favorite variety of mayonnaise.
- Lemon – You’ll need a fresh lemon as we’re using both the lemon juice and lemon zest. The acid is 100% necessary in this rich lobster melt.
- Chives – The chives are a nod to lobster roll sandwiches and also add some subtle onion flavor.
- Black pepper – Please please PLEASE use freshly cracked pepper. The bite helps cut through the rich flavors.
- Bread – Sourdough flavor is a nice contrast to the cheese and lobster, but you could really use any artisan bread like a French boule. You’ll want an average size slice of bread.
- Butter – Use high-quality butter for best results.
- Havarti cheese – I think Havarti cheese is the best cheese for lobster grilled cheese as it has mild flavor and melts really well, but you could also use provolone, swiss cheese, Monterey jack, or even white American cheese.
How to Make Lobster Grilled Cheese
Let’s make this grilled cheese with lobster! Here’s how to make it:
- Cook lobster. You can cook the lobster meat however you like. I prefer air frying lobster tail over baking or broiling, but sous vide lobster tail is another great option for perfectly cooked lobster. Just make sure you don’t overcook the lobster meat or it will be tough.
- Mix mayo sauce. In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon zest, chives, and freshly cracked pepper.
- Assemble sandwich. Spread one side of bread slices with butter and the other side with a mayonnaise. Place two pieces of bread on griddle or nonstick skillet (butter side down) and top with cheese, lobster meat, and another sprinkle of cheese. Top with remaining slices of bread (butter side up).
- Cook lobster sandwich. Cook sandwich over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes until golden brown, flip over, and cook for another 3-4 minutes, until cheese is melty and bread is golden brown. Place sandwiches on a cutting board and slice in half.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I serve these at a party?
You could also make these into an elegant snack or as part of a mega spread of amazing appetizers for a dinner party. You can make these into mini lobster grilled cheese (just cut into small, two-bite sandwiches) or use a crunchy French baguette and serve as crostini. Spread bread with mayo mixture, lobster meat, and cheese and broil (watch closely!) until cheese is melty. Serve over a bed of arugula for a great presentation.
This lobster melt is best served fresh.
How to prep ingredients ahead
While this sandwich should be made and served immediately, you can prep some of the components ahead:
- Cook lobster meat up to two days ahead
- Mix up mayo mixture up to a day ahead
What to Serve with Lobster Grilled Cheese Recipe
This lobster sandwich is pretty rich and filling, so I recommend serving it with some sort of veggie or bright and acidic side:
- Dill pickles or cornichons
- Veggies and Greek yogurt veggie dip
- Lemon Kale Salad
- Apple and Kale Salad
More Sandwich Recipes
If you like this grilled cheese lobster sandwich, you might also like some of these other sandwich recipes:
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning?
Hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm because your dinner is already planned.
Best Lobster Grilled Cheese Recipe
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: American
The BEST lobster grilled cheese recipe! Chunky lobster meat is sandwiched between melty layers of cheese and a lemon mayo sauce brings it all together.
- 2–4 oz. cooked lobster tails (or 1 8-oz. lobster tail)
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 tsp. fresh chives
- freshly cracked pepper
- 4 slices Sourdough bread or French boule
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 5 oz. Havarti (freshly shredded, a little less than 2 cups)
- Cook lobster tail if necessary and remove meat from shell. Roughly chop, still leaving big chunks. (Air fryer lobster instructions here.)
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon zest, chives, and cracked black pepper.
- Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat.
- Spread one side of bread with a thin layer of butter and other side with a thin layer of the mayonnaise mixture. Repeat with remaining slices of bread.
- Place two of the slices of bread onto the griddle (butter side down). Top with half of the cheese (about ¾ cup for both slices), and divide lobster meat over cheese layer. Top with remaining cheese and other slice of bread (butter side up).
- Cook for about 4-5 minutes until bread is golden brown, flip over and cook another 3-4 minutes, until cheese is melty and bread is golden brown.
Keywords: lobster grilled cheese, lobster grilled cheese recipe,
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!
Photo Credit: All photos in this post were take by Loren at Sweet Rustic Bakes
Did you like this recipe? Please leave a review and let me know what you thought! I appreciate it so much.