Short on time but want to make a nutritious and comforting stew? This Instant Pot chicken stew recipe needs to happen! Italian chicken stew takes just 10 minutes to prep and combines simple, everyday ingredients like mirepoix (onions, celery, and carrots), chicken thighs, crushed tomatoes, garbanzo beans, and Italian seasoning. Let the pressure cooker do its work and you’ll have a Instant Pot chicken thigh stew that’s full of flavor.
When you make this recipe, share a picture and tag me, I love to see your creations! And if you’ve made it, will you please leave it a ⭐️ rating below? It helps me out a ton!❤️
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of Contents
- How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Stew
- Instant Pot Chicken Stew FAQs
- How to Store Leftover Italian Chicken Stew
- More Chicken Thigh Recipes
- Helpful Tools to Make Instant Pot Chicken Thigh Stew Recipe
- Pin this Instant Pot chicken stew recipe for later!
How to Make Instant Pot Chicken Stew
This Instant Pot chicken thigh stew comes together with just 10 minutes to prep, then you can let the pressure cooker do the rest of the work. Here’s how to make it:
- Prep ingredients. Dice onion, slice celery and carrots, and mince garlic.
TIP: Many stores have chopped mirepoix mixture in the produce section if you want to take advantage of a short cut!
- Saute veggies. Heat oil on the saute function on pressure cooker and saute onion, carrots, and celery. Add garlic and cook for another minute, or until fragrant.
- Add ingredients. Add chicken thighs, Italian seasoning, sea salt, crushed tomatoes, and garbanzo beans into pressure cooker.
- Cook chicken stew in Instant Pot. Cover pressure cooker and lock lid. Select manual setting and cook for 10 minutes on High pressure.
- Release pressure. Let sit for 5 minutes after cooking is complete, then release pressure.
- Shred chicken. Shred chicken with forks and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Instant Pot Chicken Stew FAQs
Can you put raw chicken in the Instant Pot?
Yes, you can put raw chicken in the Instant Pot, and it’s one of the fastest ways to cook it!
How long should I cook chicken thighs in the Instant Pot?
The cooking time will vary based on cut, but a general rule of thumb is 10 minutes. The time it takes to reach pressure will vary, depending on how much chicken/other ingredients are in the Instant Pot.
For this particular recipe, it took about 15 minutes to reach pressure and then 10 minutes to cook. The chicken thighs were tender and shredded easily, but aren’t mushy.
Can I make Italian chicken stew in the slow cooker?
If you would rather make this recipe in the slow cooker, you can!
- Saute onion, celery, carrot, and garlic in a saute pan and add to bottom of a crock pot slow cooker.
- Top veggies with chicken thighs and season with Italian seasoning and sea salt. Pour crushed tomatoes and garbanzo beans over the top and cook for 3 hours on High and 6 hours on Low or until chicken is cooked through and tender.
How to Store Leftover Italian Chicken Stew
Store leftover Instant Pot chicken vegetable stew in glass storage containers the refrigerator for 3-4 days. This stew is the perfect meal prep meal to make ahead for quick lunches that just need to be reheated.
You can also freeze it for 2-3 months. Thaw overnight before reheating in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stove.
More Chicken Thigh Recipes
If you like this Italian chicken stew recipe, you might also like some of these other chicken thigh recipes:
- Orange Chicken Stir Fry – This 30-minute dinner is a family favorite. It’s got sweet and bright flavor that’s just like the take-out version.
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Potatoes – Just 10 minutes to prep this satisfying meal that’s made simple in the slow cooker.
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs – Just a few minutes to prep, a few hours to cook, and you’re on your way to eating a flavorful, nutritious meal.
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken – Made with simple ingredients and just 10 minutes to prep this take-out favorite.
Helpful Tools to Make Instant Pot Chicken Thigh Stew Recipe
- Instant Pot – You’ll obviously need an Instant Pot to make this Italian chicken stew recipe!
- Glass Storage Containers – Store any leftovers from this Instant Pot chicken stew recipe in these containers and they can go straight in to the microwave. I LOVE the lids on these as they lock really tightly.
Instant pot chicken stew recipe takes just 10 min to prep! Italian chicken stew is a nutritious + satisfying meal and perfect for meal prep.
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 3 stalks celery
- 3 medium carrots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. chicken thighs (skinless, boneless)
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 2 15-oz. cans garbanzo beans
- Prep ingredients:
Turn on ‘Saute’ function and heat oil in Instant Pot. Add onions, carrots, and celery to pot and stir, cooking for about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
Add chicken thighs, Italian seasoning, sea salt, crushed tomatoes, and garbanzo beans into Instant Pot.
Cover and lock lid. Select manual setting and cook for 10 minutes on ‘High Pressure.’
Once cooking is complete, let sit for 5 minutes, then release pressure.
Shred chicken with forks. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Shortcut: buy pre-cut mirepoix mix, you’ll need about 5 cups.
- Cooking time: Stew takes about 15 minutes to reach pressure.
- If you want it more of a soup, add in 2 cups chicken broth.
- Serving size: 1 1/2 cups of Italian Instant Pot Chicken Stew
Keywords: Instant Pot chicken stew, Instant Pot chicken stew recipes, Italian chicken stew, Instant Pot chicken thigh stew