These healthy english muffin pizzas can be made in a batch and then frozen to take out and bake as needed.
There are foods that humans just seem to inherently love from the first bite. And pizza is one of those foods. I mean, who doesn’t love pizza?! Reveal yourself if you exist.
We always assume that pizza isn’t healthy, but it’s really not that difficult to turn it into a nutritious meal. These english muffin pizzas consist of a 100% whole grain crust, pizza sauce (which is counted as a vegetable for school meals, though I’m not that lenient at my house!), some veggies and a sprinkle of cheese. Pepperoni too, if you want! Like bagel bites but healthier.
Individually, made up of good foods on their own. Put together, the ingredients are transformed into healthy english muffin pizzas that can be made in a batch and then frozen to take out and bake as needed.
If you are trying to cut down on processed food and meals, these are a great alternative for busy nights – or the nights when pizza is the only meal that will do.
And definitely a great meal to have kids help with. If they are old enough, involve them in the process of making the english muffin pizzas. Demi’s almost two, so at this age she could help sprinkle a little cheese or vegetables – though whenever I give her cheese to sprinkle, it all goes in her mouth. (You really can’t take the Wisconsin out of the girl.) Older kids could spread the pizza sauce on the english muffin, then sprinkle with toppings.
After they are assembled, they just need a night in the freezer, and can then be bagged for the future.
- 6 whole-grain english muffins, split in half
- 8 oz pizza sauce (about 1 cup)
- 6–8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 4 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 slices of pepperoni, chopped
- On a baking tray that can go into the freezer, lay down english muffins, split side up.
- Top with pizza sauce, shredded cheese and desired toppings.
- Press down toppings slightly.
- Cover tray with plastic wrap or tin foil and freeze for at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove tray and place pizzas in freezer bag.
- To cook pizzas, remove the number of pizzas you want to bake and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted, checking after 10 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 pizza
- Calories: 139 calories
- Sugar: 2 grams
- Sodium: 363 mg
- Fat: 6 grams
- Saturated Fat: 3 grams
- Carbohydrates: 12 mg
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 8 grams
- Cholesterol: 12 mg