These healthy ground turkey tostadas are loaded with flavor and ready in just 20 minutes, making them a perfect weeknight dinner. Crunchy tostada shells are topped with a layer of refried beans, turkey taco meat, queso fresco, and pickled red onions for a meal that’s made with just 5 ingredients and ready in 20 minutes.
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
- What You'll Love About Turkey Tostadas
- Turkey Tostada Video
- How to Make Ground Turkey Tostadas
- Storage Instructions
What You’ll Love About Turkey Tostadas
- Easy and healthy dinner
- Delicious flavors
- Easy to customize for family members
- Just 5 minutes prep time
- Just 15 minutes cook time
- Made with just 8 basic ingredients
Turkey Tostada Video
- Ground turkey – Look for ground turkey that is lean, but not 99% fat-free as it just dries out.
- Zucchini – I’ve used a green zucchini, but you could also use a yellow summer squash.
- Spinach – I’ve used chopped baby spinach, but any green that wilts quickly will work. If you use something a little thicker than spinach, like kale or chard, put it in a few minutes earlier.
- Taco seasoning – Use your favorite taco seasoning packet. I love the flavor and ingredients in this one.
- Beans – I used canned refried beans to keep it simple, but my homemade refried black beans would be fantastic (and my first choice if I have them on-hand).
- Tostada shells – Look for crunch taco shells that are round and flat. Some of them will come ready-to-eat in a large bag, but others need to be baked for a few minutes like crunchy taco shells.
- Cheese – I recommend something with big flavor like queso fresco (which you can find at most grocery stores!), but you could also use a shredded sharp cheddar if you prefer.
- Pickled red onions – These give the tostadas an acidic bite you won’t want to miss. You can make a whole brine for the pickled onions, but I cut them up, put them in a small jar and cover with white vinegar. Store in fridge and put on anything that needs a little acidity.
How to Make Ground Turkey Tostadas
This is an overview on how to make easy ground turkey tostadas, the detailed instructions can be found below in the recipe card.
Store crispy turkey tostada components in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat turkey taco meat in the microwave or a hot skillet until heated through.
Can you freeze turkey taco meat?
Yes, you can absolutely freeze the taco meat. Store in a freezer bag or container (stasher bags are great) for 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge.
What to Serve with Ground Turkey Tostadas
Serve this easy ground turkey tostadas recipe with a simple side dish:
- Black Bean Avocado Corn Salad
- Chipotle Fajita Veggies
- Copycat Chipotle Corn Salsa
- Grilled Mexican Street Corn
How to Feed Turkey Tostada Recipe to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in.
I would recommend serving the tostadas family style and let everyone build their own. Serve the meal with a few items you know your kids will eat, like refried beans, fruit, or cheese quesadillas. They may only put one or two toppings on their tostada – or they may eat everything deconstructed and that’s totally ok. 🙂
More Easy Mexican-Ish Recipes
If you like this turkey tostada recipe, you might also like some of these other Mexican-inspired recipes:
Let me Meal Plan for you!
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning? It’s time to hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm instead of stressed. Your dinner is planned and your grocery list is made and everything is conveniently delivered to an app so you can print it out, access from your phone, or computer.
These ground turkey tostadas are a nutritious and delicious dinner that comes together with just 5 basic ingredients plus a few pantry staples.
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 small zucchini
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 2 cans refried beans
- 8 tostada shells
- 1 oz. Queso fresco
- pickled red onions
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini to skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes until just soft. Add ground turkey and cook 3-4 minutes, until almost cooked through. Add taco seasoning to skillet with water and mix everything well. Bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low, cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the liquid has evaporated and mixture has thickened. Stir in spinach until it wilts and remove from heat.
- While the turkey is cooking, prep other ingredients: heat beans in the microwave or stovetop and shred cheese.
- Spread a layer of beans onto the tostada shell and top with turkey taco meat, cheese, and pickled red onions.
Keywords: turkey tostadas, ground turkey tostadas, ground turkey tostada recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!