Turkey breast in instant pot is ready in less than an hour! Instant pot turkey breast is the easiest way to brown and cook turkey breast quickly. Tender, flavorful and the best way to cook a whole turkey breast and the easiest way to make a special turkey dinner meal.
I’m so excited to partner with the National Turkey Federation over the next few months to bring you this instant pot turkey breast recipe. (sponsored) Turkey is a staple for our weeknight dinners and for so many reasons. It’s packed with lean protein, it’s satisfying, it’s easy to cook with, and everyone loves it! Turkey breast is a great option to make for a classic turkey dinner, but on a smaller scale and it’s ideal for gatherings. Visit ServeTurkey.org for more turkey recipes.
Can You Cook a Turkey Breast in an Instant Pot?
Yes, you can cook turkey breast in instant pot, and it’s a great way to do so! Using the instant pot instead of a slow cooker is very convenient because you can brown it and cook it in the slow cooker all in the same.
How to Cook Turkey Breast in Instant Pot
This instant pot turkey breast recipe is easy EASY! Just a few minutes of prep and then let the pressure cooker do the work. Here’s how we make it:
- Brown turkey breast. Turn on the instant pot to saute function and heat the oil in bottom of pot. Sear the turkey breast for 4-5 minutes, until golden brown on each side. Carefully remove turkey breast and set on a plate.
- Season turkey. Add wire rack back into pressure cooker and pour 1 cup of water into the bottom. Place the turkey back onto rack and brush the mustard sauce over the breast and inside the cavity.
- Cook turkey breast in instant pot. Close and seal the lid. Set pressure cooker to manual high pressure and cook for 25 minutes. Let natural release for 5 minutes, then quick release and carefully open up.
- Let instant pot turkey breast rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
How Much Turkey Breast per Person?
A good rule of thumb is to make one pound of turkey per person. If you want to be sure to have leftovers, plan on 1 1/4-1 1/2 pounds per person.
The smaller size of the breast makes it ideal for a special family dinner or small gatherings.
|# of servings||turkey breast size|
Turkey Breast Instant Pot Cooking Time
Ok, one of my pet peeves with instant pot/pressure cooker recipes is that they only list how long it takes once pressure has ALREADY been reached. Which isn’t super helpful in knowing how long something is actually going to take.
A common instant pot turkey breast cooking time is about 5-6 minutes per pound with a 10-minute natural release. I found that 6 minutes per pound with a 10-minute release resulted in turkey that was overcooked so I recommend 5-minutes per pound and a 5-minute natural release.
You want the turkey breast temperature to reach 165 degrees F, but no higher or it will dry out the turkey. I highly recommend using a digital thermometer when cooking meats and seafood.
NOTE: The whole cooking process (browning, pressure cooking, and natural release) took about 50 minutes from start to finish for a 5-pound turkey breast. (Not including resting time!)
Turkey Breast Instant Pot Cooking Time
|Turkey Breast Size – Pounds||Instant Pot Cooking Time – High Pressure|
|5 pounds||25 minutes + 5 minute natural release|
|6 pounds||30 minutes + 5 minute natural release|
|7 pounds||35 minutes + 5 minute natural release|
|8 pounds||40 minutes + 5 minute natural release|
|9 pounds||45 minutes + 5 minute natural release|
How to Store Instant Pot Turkey Breast
This turkey breast recipe should be stored in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. Reheat in the microwave or a 375 degree F oven until heated through.
What to Serve with Bone In Turkey Breast
Now that you know how to cook a turkey breast in the instant pot, it’s time to pick your side dishes. Here are a few recipes to get you started, otherwise I’d recommend a green veggie (cooked or a simple green salad) and starchy vegetables like potatoes or squash for a classic meal.
- French Green Beans – My favorite veggie side! This post shares three ways you can make them – sauteed, air fryer, or roasted.
- Broiled Asparagus – Another simple green side option, asparagus is best in the spring time, perfect for Easter dinner!
- Cheesy Potato Casserole – Also known as funeral potatoes, this classic casserole is a must for Easter meals. I’m adding in some extra flavor to the classic recipe.
- Quinoa Arugula Salad – For a lighter, brighter side with Southern California vibes, try this easy and delicious salad.
Helpful Tools for Pressure Cooker Turkey Breast
Instant Pot Turkey Breast Recipe
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Diabetic
INSTANT POT turkey breast! Just 5 min to prep turkey breast in instant pot. The best way to make a turkey dinner any time!
- 5–6 lb. bone-in, skin-on turkey breast
- sea salt
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tbsp. whole grain dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
Season with salt and pepper
Turn pressure cooker to high saute function. Add oil to pot and when it reaches the proper temperature, place turkey skin side down (breast side) into pot. Sear for 4-5 minutes, then carefully flip over and sear another 4-5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the mustard, honey, soy sauce, and garlic.
Remove breast from pressure cooker and place on a plate.
Add the wire rack into the pressure cooker. Pour 1 cup of water in the bottom of pressure cooker. Place the turkey on top of the rack and brush mustard sauce onto turkey breast and into cavity.
Close and seal the lid. Set pressure cooker to manual high pressure setting and cook for 25 minutes**. Let natural release for 5 minutes.
Let turkey rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing.
- **Cook time will depend on turkey weight. See table above for cooking times based on weight.
- Check your stores freezer section or ask at the meat counter if you don’t see turkey breast.
Keywords: instant pot turkey breast, turkey breast instant pot, turkey breast in instant pot
Did you like this recipe? Please leave a review and let me know what you thought! I appreciate it so much.