This easy corned beef reuben recipe tastes just like the classic, and it’s so simple to make! Perfect for St. Patrick’s Day, or anytime you need a reuben in your life. 🙂 This reuben sandwich recipe is made with just 8 everyday ingredients and takes just 15 minutes to make, it’s the perfect weeknight dinner.
Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Table of Contents
- Reuben Sandwich Ingredients
- How to Make a Reuben Sandwich
- Easy Reuben Recipe FAQs
- How to Store Leftover Reubens
- Can reuben sandwiches be frozen?
- More Easy Sandwich Recipes
- What to Serve with Reuben Sandwiches
- Helpful Tools to Make this Reuben Sandwich Recipe
- Pin this corned beef reuben recipe for later!
Reuben Sandwich Ingredients
The reuben ingredients you’ll need are:
- Reuben dressing – The dressing is made up of a simple combo of mayonnaise, ketchup, and diced pickles. Traditionally a Russian dressing is used, which is a mayo based dressing with ketchup and other ingredients. This is a simplified version.
- Reuben bread – Use a light rye bread for the traditional bread, but sourdough or any artisan bread that can be griddled will also work.
- Corned beef – A classic reuben recipe is made with corned beef, but you can also use pastrami or even turkey (called a Rachel when there is coleslaw too).
- Swiss cheese – Buy it pre-sliced to make it easy.
- Sauerkraut – Canned sauerkraut works well here, just make sure to drain it well so your sandwich isn’t mushy.
How to Make a Reuben Sandwich
This corned beef reuben recipe is ready in just 15 minutes! Besides mixing up the reuben dressing, none of the ingredients really require any prep. (Isn’t that the best?!) Here’s how to make the best reuben recipe:
- Mix dressing for reuben. In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, ketchup, and pickles. Set aside.
- Butter bread. Spread one side of each bread with butter.
- Assemble reubens. Top bread (not butter side!) with slice of cheese, sauerkraut, dressing, corned beef, and other slice of bread.
- Cook reubens. Cook sandwiches over medium-low heat for 2-4 minutes per side, until golden brown.
Easy Reuben Recipe FAQs
Can you eat a reuben when pregnant?
The recommendation is to steam deli meat while pregnant, so you could quickly sear in the pan or heat in microwave, before layering it onto your sandwich and cooking.
*Always run everything by your Doctor, this is just a general guideline.
How to Store Leftover Reubens
While the reuben ingredients can be stored in the fridge, I wouldn’t recommend making the sandwich and THEN storing it. The combination of griddled bread and reuben dressing is not suitable for storage or you’ll end up with a mushy sandwich.
Can reuben sandwiches be frozen?
I would not recommend freezing reubens, they are best eaten immediately after making.
More Easy Sandwich Recipes
If you like this grilled reuben recipe, you might also like some of these other easy sandwich recipes:
- Chicken Shawarma Wraps – Once you make the sheet pan chicken shawarma, stuff it into soft pita bread for these easy wraps. Just 15 minutes prep.
- Trader Joe’s Meatball Subs – Just 5 ingredients needed to make these satisfying sub sandwiches.
- Asparagus Tartine – The BEST open-faced spring sandwich that’s loaded with flavor. It’s fancy, but not fussy.
- Loaded Veggie Burgers – All the toppings you need to turn a boring veggie burger into a delicious dinner!
What to Serve with Reuben Sandwiches
The whole point of sandwiches for dinner is to keep it simple, so keep the sides simple, too!
- Raw veggies and Greek yogurt veggie dip
- Potato chips
Helpful Tools to Make this Reuben Sandwich Recipe
- Nonstick Skillet – Fry your reubens in a nonstick skillet so it doesn’t stick.
- Silicone Spatula Set – After you flip the reuben sandwich over, lightly flatten with the back of a spatula.
Corned Beef Reuben Sandwiches
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Sandwich
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: Irish
This easy corned beef reuben recipe takes just 15 min to make, complete with a homemade dressing! Serve with easy sides for a simple dinner.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup chopped pickles
- 8 slices rye bread
- 8 tsp. butter
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 15 oz. sauerkraut
- 8 oz. corned beef (sliced thin)
- In a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, ketchup, and minced pickles. Set aside.
- Butter bread on one side and place 4 slices, butter side down on a cutting board.
- Assemble sandwiches. Top bread with slice of cheese, sauerkraut, Thousand Island dressing, corned beef, and other slice of bread.
- Heat nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, and cook sandwiches for 2-4 minutes per side, until golden brown and cheese has melted.
- Cook in batches if necessary.
- Amounts can vary depending on preferences.
Keywords: corned beef reuben recipe, reuben recipe, reuben sandwich recipes
Did you like this recipe? Please leave a review and let me know what you thought! I appreciate it so much.