This blackened cod recipe makes for a great 15 minute dinner that is loaded with savory flavor and made with simple ingredients. It’s easy to mix up your own Cajun seasoning blend for this blackened cod fish and then its just a matter of seasoning and cooking. Serve it up with some sides (napa cabbage slaw is a must!) for a nutritious and delicious meal.
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of Contents
- What is Blackened Cod?
- What You’ll Love About This Blackened Cod Recipe
- Blackened Cod Fish Ingredients
- How to Make Blackened Cod
- Storage Instructions
- How to Serve Blackened Cod the Whole Family
- What to Serve with Blackened Cod
- More Easy Fish Recipes
- It’s 5pm. Are you still wondering what’s for dinner?
- Helpful Tools to Make Blackened Cod
What is Blackened Cod?
Blackened cod is a method of cooking fish that uses a bold spice mixture that in combination with a hot pan, darkens “blackens” the fish. It’s popular in Cajun cuisine and can be done with different types of proteins like chicken, mahi mahi, grouper, and more.
What You’ll Love About This Blackened Cod Recipe
- Delicious, savory flavor
- Perfectly cooked cod fish
- Just 5 minutes prep time
- Just 7 minutes cook time
- Made with simple ingredients
- Easy, healthy dinner main
- Naturally gluten free
Blackened Cod Fish Ingredients
This blackened cod recipe is made with a few ingredients and 5 spices you probably already have!
- Cod fillets – Most cod is wild-caught, but be sure to check and seek it out if that is important to you. You could also use other flaky white fish like haddock or pollock.
- Blackening spice mixture – Smoked paprika, sea salt, granulated sugar, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, cayenne pepper
- Butter – Use high quality grass-fed butter for best flavor, or whatever type you prefer.
How to Make Blackened Cod
Let’s get to the good part – how to cook blackened cod!
- Prep fish. Pat fish dry with paper towel.
- Mix blackening seasoning. In a small bowl, mix together smoked paprika, sea salt, sugar, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, and cayenne pepper.
- Season fish. Melt half of the butter and brush on both sides of fish. Sprinkle seasoning mix over both sides of buttered fish.
- Cook blackened cod. Melt butter in a skillet over medium high heat and when it foams, cook fish for about 4 minutes, carefully flip, and cook another 2-3 minutes. Fish should flake with a fork.
Store blackened cod in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.
How to reheat
Reheat fish in a hot skillet for best results. Microwaving fish is not recommended.
Can you freeze blackened cod?
Yes, you can freeze cod in an airtight container (stasher bags work well) for 2-3 months.
How to Serve Blackened Cod the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in. 😉
If your kids aren’t sure about fish, serve a tiny piece. If you think the blackening seasoning will be too much, either decrease the amount you use or omit it completely and just cook the fish portion in butter.
What to Serve with Blackened Cod
Wondering what to serve with blackened cod? You can go in so many different side dish directions:
More Easy Fish Recipes
If you like this blackened cod fish recipe, you might also like some of these other easy fish recipes:
It’s 5pm. Are you still wondering what’s for dinner?
Menu Plans by My Everyday Table can help you out.
The plan addresses three major issues when it comes to weeknight dinners: having a plan, time, and one family meal.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and feel calm when 5pm hits because your dinner is already planned.
This blackened cod fish recipe is full of flavor and only made with a handful of ingredients. Serve with a simple side for a nutritious dinner.
- Pat fish dry with paper towel.
- In a small bowl, mix together smoked paprika, sea salt, sugar, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, and cayenne pepper.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and brush onto both sides of fish and sprinkle with seasoning on both sides.
- Melt remaining butter in a skillet and cook fish for about 4 minutes, carefully flip over, and cook another 2-3 minutes, until cooked through and flaky.
Keywords: blackened cod recipe, blackened cod fish, blackened cod
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!
Photo Credit: All photos in this post were take by Loren at Sweet Rustic Bakes