You are going to LOVE this margarita mocktail (aka virgin margarita recipe!) on hot summer days. Whether you are taking a break from the booze, pregnant, or just cutting back, this virgin margarita on the rocks recipe will give you allllllll of the flavor and satisfaction you are looking for, without the side effects you’re trying to avoid. Set yourself up with a few non-alcoholic margaritas, tortilla chips, and a bowl of Chipotle corn salsa and you’ll be loving life. If you’re looking for a non-alcoholic wine review, you’ll want to check out my thoughts on Surely wines.
What makes these the best virgin margaritas? Two things:
- FRESH ingredients – this is key to bright and high-quality flavor.
- DEPTH – The Ritual tequila alternative gives tequila flavor without the booze and this is often missing in many NA margaritas that feel like they are missing something.
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of Contents
- Can you make a margarita without alcohol?
- What You’ll Love About This Margarita Mocktail
- Virgin Margarita Recipe Ingredients
- How to Make a Mocktail Margarita
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storage Instructions
- What to Serve with non-alcoholic margaritas
- Helpful Tools to Make Virgin Margarita on the Rocks Recipe
Can you make a margarita without alcohol?
Yes, turns out you can! This mock margarita tastes like the real thing, but without the side affects that you may not be interested in.
What You’ll Love About This Margarita Mocktail
- Actually tastes like the real thing
- Made with fresh ingredients
- Takes just a few minutes to make
- Easy to double or triple the recipe
Virgin Margarita Recipe Ingredients
You’ll need just a few ingredients to make this margarita mocktail recipe:
- Tequila alternative – Yes, we’re using FAKE tequila like zero proof (non-alcoholic) Ritual Tequila Alternative.
- Lime juice – Fresh lime juice is a must. Get yourself a citrus squeezer to make it easier.
- Orange juice – Traditional margaritas are made with an orange liqueur like Cointreau, so we’re using fresh squeezed orange juice instead of the liqueur. It’s sort of a secret ingredient that you don’t typically see in margaritas.
- Agave nectar – This sweetens the non-alcoholic margarita, and it’s a classic in margaritas. You could also use honey or simple syrup, but agave is preferred.
- Soda water – I prefer to use a plain soda water, but sparkling water (seltzer) or tonic water can also be used. Use a splash as desired, or skip it if you prefer.
- Margarita salt – If you like a coarse salt rim, margarita salt is best as it’s nice and chunky. Some also like a sugar rim or a tajin rim.
How to Make a Mocktail Margarita
Let’s get to the best margarita mocktail! Here’s how to make it:
- Prep your glass. Run a fresh lime wedge on rim of the glass and dunk in margarita salt.
- Shake up your margarita mocktails! In a cocktail shaker, add tequila alternative, lime juice, orange juice, and agave. Add a few ice cubes and shake vigorously until shaker is frosty. Strain into prepared glass over ice and top with soda water (stir it in) if desired.
- Garnish. Garnish with a lime wheel or a pineapple leaf if you are real fancy.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a tequila alternative?
A tequila alternative is a non-alcoholic version of tequila. So it’s not quite the same (obviously!) but helps add depth and realistic flavor to mocktail margaritas like this one.
I love the Ritual tequila alternative (and I like their gin!) to give extra oomph to mocktails. Ritual describes the tequila as, “grassy flavor, smoky aroma and bright fire of tequila without the alcohol.” (Not sponsored, just what I use and love!)
Is this virgin margarita recipe really sweet?
It’s not overly sweet like some margaritas, but has enough sweetness to balance out the lime juice. Feel free to adjust agave according to your personal preferences.
Can you make a spicy margarita mocktail?
Yes, and it’s super easy. Add 1-2 slices of fresh jalapeno (more or less depending on how much spice you like) and muddle in cocktail shaker.
Can you make a non-alcoholic strawberry margarita?
Yes! Add 1-2 fresh strawberries (or frozen that are thawed) to the cocktail shaker and muddle to extract all of the juice. You could use almost any fruit, watermelon, blackberry, and cucumber margaritas are all delicious options.
The margarita is best served and enjoyed immediately. If you would like to prep components ahead, you could juice the limes and orange so that it’s ready to go.
What to Serve with non-alcoholic margaritas
Serve this margarita mocktail recipe with your favorite Mexican dishes:
- Chipotle Copycat Corn Salsa
- Black Bean Tostadas
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
- Ground Chicken Tacos
- Easy Taco Salad
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning?
Hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm because your dinner is already planned.
Helpful Tools to Make Virgin Margarita on the Rocks Recipe
- Ritual Tequila Alternative – This is the key to the best virgin margarita on the rocks recipe! It gives real tequila flavor and depth, without the side effects.
- Cocktail Shaker – Use this to mix up all of your NA drink recipes.
- Muddler – If you’re making a non-alcoholic strawberry margarita (or spicy, cucumber, or watermelon), you’ll need a muddler to get the juice and flavor out of the produce.
This virgin margarita mocktail delivers all of the flavor you love in fresh margaritas, without the boozy effects you’re avoiding.
- 2 oz. tequila alternative (like Ritual)
- 1 1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1 oz. fresh orange juice
- 2 tsp. agave
- splash of soda water or club soda
- Salt rims of short glasses and fill with ice.
- Combine tequila alternative, lime juice, orange juice, and agave in a cocktail shaker. Add ice cubes, shake well until frothy, and pour into glasses. Top with a splash of soda water and stir in.
Flavored Virgin Margarita Ideas
- Spicy – Muddle fresh jalapeno slices before shaking NA margarita.
- Strawberry – Muddle fresh or frozen (but thawed) strawberries before shaking NA margarita.
- Cucumber – Muddle cucumber slices before shaking NA margarita.
Keywords: margarita mocktail, virgin margarita recipe, non-alcoholic margaritas, virgin margarita on the rocks recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!
Photo Credit: All photos in this post were take by Loren at Sweet Rustic Bakes