This Greek grilled chicken is a delicious and easy meal that’s perfect for summer time evenings. The Greek grilled chicken marinade is made with just 6 simple ingredients, takes just a few minutes to prepare, and leaves the chicken super JUICY. Then marinate, grill, and EAT! Serve this grilled Greek chicken with Greek cucumber salad, Greek potato salad, Greek chickpea salad with feta cheese and grilled bread or air fryer pita bread for a quick and nutritious meal.
Be sure to try my Greek meatballs, grilled chicken drumsticks, grilled chicken thighs, or lemon garlic grilled chicken breasts next time. And if you’ve got leftovers, turn any of these chicken recipes into cherry chicken pasta salad!
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About Greek Grilled Chicken
- Greek Grilled Chicken Marinade Ingredients
- How to Make Greek Grilled Chicken
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storage Instructions
- How to Serve Greek Chicken to the Whole Family
- What to Serve with Greek Grilled Chicken Recipe
- More Easy Grilling Recipes
What You’ll Love About Greek Grilled Chicken
- Juicy and flavorful chicken
- Just 5 minutes prep time
- Made with just 6 simple ingredients
- Versatile main dish
Greek Grilled Chicken Marinade Ingredients
We’ll talk about chicken below, but here are the ingredients you’ll need for the Greek marinade for grilled chicken:
- Greek yogurt – Use plain Greek yogurt, 2% or full fat if you can find it for best flavor.
- Garlic – Use fresh garlic cloves for best flavor or frozen garlic cubes for convenience.
- Lemon zest – Use a fresh lemon as we’re using the zest from it. Save the lemon juice for something else.
- Red wine vinegar – This gives the chicken great flavor, but you could also use apple cider vinegar or white balsamic vinegar.
- Olive oil – Use high quality olive oil for best flavor.
- Oregano – Use dried oregano, this gives the chicken classic Greek flavor.
- Sea salt
How to Make Greek Grilled Chicken
You can mix up this marinade in just a few minutes:
- Mix up Greek yogurt marinade. In a large bowl, mix together Greek yogurt, lemon zest, red wine vinegar, olive oil, oregano, and sea salt until smooth.
- Marinate chicken. Add chicken to bowl and toss together so that chicken is evenly coated. Transfer to refrigerator if marinating for longer than 30 minutes.
- Grill chicken. Preheat grill over medium high heat and place chicken legs over direct heat. Flip half way through grilling and grill until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 185 degrees F. (See FAQ below)
- Rest chicken. Let chicken rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why should I cook it to 185 degrees F instead of 165 degrees F?
So this is interesting and something I learned while researching grilled chicken thighs. While most chicken recipes are cooked to an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, we’re actually cooking thighs and dark meat to 185 degrees F. This allows the higher fat and collagen content in thighs get a chance to “baste” the white meat, which makes it super juicy and flavorful. I’m a convert and you will be too!
What does Greek yogurt do to chicken?
Greek yogurt marinades help to create a juicy and tender chicken. “Harsher” lemon juice or vinegar based marinades work quickly, which can actually toughen meat up instead of making it tender.
The yogurt works a little slower, which creates a tender meat, as well as imparting delicious, savory flavor.
What cut of chicken can you use with this marinade?
You can marinate any cut of chicken in this Greek yogurt marinade. I’ve used drumsticks for this recipe, but it’s really up to you. I’ve also done chicken thighs which were amazing! The cooking time will vary based on cut, size, grill temperature, etc. so I recommend using an instant read meat thermometer but here is an estimated cooking time:
- Drumsticks – about 20-25 minutes
- Thighs – about 20-25 minutes
- Breasts – about 45 minutes
- Boneless and skinless chicken breasts – about 10 minutes
How long should you marinate chicken before grilling it?
Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes if you have time. You can also marinate this grilled chicken Greek style for up to overnight. Some marinades will turn mushy if it’s marinated too long, but this doesn’t happen with yogurt marinades.
Store leftover chicken in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to reheat
Reheat chicken in a 350 degree F oven or air fryer or serve cold or at room temperature.
Can you freeze grilled chicken?
Yes, you can freeze grilled chicken. Store in an airtight container (stasher bags work well) and freeze for 2-3 months.
How to Serve Greek Chicken to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in. 😉
I think chicken drumsticks are a great option for kids and because this marinade is pretty mild, I think your kids will love it as much as mine. Be sure to serve the meal alongside a few items you know they will eat (milk, fruit, bread, etc.) and start them off with a small piece of chicken if they are unsure of it or if it’s a new food.
What to Serve with Greek Grilled Chicken Recipe
Serve this Greek yogurt grilled chicken with a simple side dish:
- Air Fryer Pita Bread
- Grilled Potatoes in Foil
- Grilled Vegetables
- Kale Apple Slaw
- Napa Cabbage Slaw
- Greek Chickpea Salad with Feta
- Classic Greek Cucumber Salad
More Easy Grilling Recipes
If you like this Greek marinated grilled chicken, you might also like some of these other easy grilling recipes:
- Easy Grilled Tilapia in Foil
- Grilled Salmon in Foil
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
- Bruschetta Chicken Pasta Salad
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning?
Hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm because your dinner is already planned.
This Greek grilled chicken marinade leaves you with JUICY and FLAVORFUL chicken! Serve grilled Greek chicken with a simple side for an easy meal.
- In a large bowl, mix together Greek yogurt, lemon zest, red wine vinegar, olive oil, oregano, sea salt together until smooth.
- Add chicken to bowl and toss so chicken is evenly coated in marinade. Marinate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
- Pre-heat grill to medium high heat. (Make sure it’s clean and oiled!)
- Place chicken legs over direct heat and cook for 15 minutes, flip over and cook for another 10 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees.
- Let rest for at least 5-10 minutes.
- Cooking time is approximate and will vary based on cut of chicken, size of chicken, and grill temperature. Using an instant read meat thermometer is recommended.
- Nutrition facts are for an average sized chicken drumstick.
Keywords: Greek grilled chicken, grilled Greek chicken, Greek grilled chicken marinade
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!
Photo Credit: All photos in this post were take by Loren at Sweet Rustic Bakes