This simple and fresh shrimp salad sandwich recipe is an everyday and weeknight twist on lobster rolls! These shrimp sandwiches are simple to make and are perfect for hot nights when only something cool will do. Made with basic ingredients, these sandwiches are light, bright, and also totally satisfying.
If you like this recipe for creamy shrimp salad, be sure to try my smoked salmon sandwich, tomato mozzarella panini, or crispy breaded pork sandwich next time.
Estimated reading time: 5 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About Shrimp Salad Sandwiches
- How to Make a Shrimp Salad Sandwich
- Storage Instructions
- How to Serve Shrimp Sandwiches to the Whole Family
- What to Serve with Shrimp Sandwiches
- More Easy Shrimp Recipes
What You’ll Love About Shrimp Salad Sandwiches
- Cold sandwich perfect for hot nights
- Fresh and bright flavors
- Made with simple ingredients
- Just 10 minutes prep time
- Easy to make-ahead
These cold shrimp sandwiches come together with basic ingredients:
- Shrimp – Use raw and peeled shrimp with no tails for best flavor.
- Celery – Celery adds great crunch. You could also use finely chopped radish.
- Green onions – Adds mild onion flavor, but you can also use chives or even red onion if you prefer.
- Mayonnaise – Use your favorite mayo.
- Lemon – Use fresh lemon juice for best flavor.
- Dill – Use dried dill for convenience or fresh dill if you have it. Use one tablespoon of fresh dill as dried herbs have more flavor.
- Sea salt – Or swap it for old bay seasoning for extra flavor.
- Hot dog buns – Brioche or sweet hot dog buns are a nice contrast in flavor.
- Butter – The butter is use for toasting the buns, but can also be omitted if you prefer.
How to Make a Shrimp Salad Sandwich
Let me show you how easy this summer shrimp salad sandwich with dill comes together:
- Cook shrimp. Boil shrimp in a large pot of water according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop cooking and set aside. (Devein if necessary.)
- Mix shrimp sandwich dressing. In a medium bowl, mix together celery, onions, mayonnaise, lemon juice, dill, and sea salt until smooth. Season with black pepper to taste if desired.
- Mix shrimp salad. Roughly chop shrimp and add to dressing bowl. Toss with mayonnaise and chill in the fridge until it’s time to eat.
- Toast buns. Preheat broiler or fry pan and spread butter on buns. Toast or broil just until lightly toasted.
Store shrimp salad in the refrigerator for 1-2 days.
How to prep ahead
Make shrimp salad mixture 1-2 days in advance.
How to Serve Shrimp Sandwiches to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in. 😉
If you aren’t sure if your kids will like the shrimp salad for sandwiches, serve the components separately so they can decide if they want to put it on the sandwich, or leave it separate. (Also, sandwiches can be hard to eat for kids!)
All of my articles on feeding kids can be found here and if you want a FULL list of all of the videos I have with hacks, tips, scripts, and ideas for feeding kids, check out my instagram or tiktok page.
What to Serve with Shrimp Sandwiches
Serve these sandwiches with your favorite simple sides (raw veggies, potato chips, or a simple romaine lettuce salad anyone?!) or one of these easy sides:
More Easy Shrimp Recipes
If you like this easy shrimp salad sandwich, you might also like some of these other easy shrimp recipes:
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning?
Hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm because your dinner is already planned.
Shrimp Salad Sandwich Recipe
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Sandwich
This simple and fresh shrimp salad sandwich recipe is an everyday and weeknight twist on lobster rolls. Perfect for hot summer nights.
- 24 oz. raw shrimp
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 3 green onions, minced
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice (from 1 lemon juiced)
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 hot dog buns
- 2 Tbsp. butter
Cook shrimp according to package instructions.
While shrimp is cooking, mix together celery, onions (white part only) mayonnaise, lemon juice, dill, and sea salt in a medium bowl until smooth.
When shrimp is done cooking, roughly chop and add to bowl. Toss with mayonnaise and chill in the fridge until it’s time to eat.
Preheat broiler. Spread a little butter on the hot dog buns and broil or a few minutes (1-2) to get them hot and a little toasty. Top with shrimp mixture and serve.
- Use raw shrimp with no tails.
- Use Hawaiian roll (or sweet) hot dog buns, preferably with a split top.
Keywords: shrimp salad sandwich, shrimp salad sandwich recipe, shrimp sandwiches
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!
Did you like this recipe? Please leave a review and let me know what you thought! I appreciate it so much.