If you’re looking for a gorgeous side or salad for holiday tables…you’ve found it! This kale pomegranate salad recipe is simple, flavorful, and made with just 8 ingredients (a lot of pantry staples, too!). My kale pomegranate salad is made with deep green kale (beautiful and nutritious), a bright lemon dressing, salty feta, crunchy nuts, and sweet and tart pomegranate seeds. Try this pomegranate salad for Christmas or Thanksgiving!
Serve this pomegranate salad for lamb, or along side your holiday meals. I love making this pomegranate salad for Christmas and Thanksgiving because it’s a bright side to a lot of heavier dishes AND it looks gorgeous on the table.
How to Make Pomegranate Salad:
This kale and pomegranate salad is beyond easy! As I mentioned, I think it’s the perfect side for the holidays. Serve this pomegranate salad for Christmas or Thanksgiving for a light, bright side. Here’s how to make it:
- Prep kale. Wash kale and dry well. Remove stems and thinly slice into ribbons.
- Make dressing. Zest lemon and garlic using a microplane zester. Squeeze lemon juice with a citrus juicer, and whisk the lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper together.
- Assemble pomegranate salad recipe. Toss kale with dressing and lightly massage (if using dino kale you don’t need to do this as it’s more tender). Toss before serving, and top with pomegranate seeds, walnuts, and feta cheese.
TIP: If you dress your salad a few hours or a day before, it might seem dry. Drizzle with olive oil and a fresh squeeze of lemon juice before adding toppings.
How to Store Leftover Kale Pomegranate Salad:
Store this pomegranate salad recipe in the refrigerator without toppings for one day. Because kale is a hearty green, it’s ok to leave it dressed for a day.
If you want to prep some of the pomegranate salad with feta cheese ingredients ahead, here’s what you can do:
- Kale – wash and dry kale. Thinly slice into ribbons.
- Pomegranate seeds – If you’re buying a whole pomegranate, you can remove seeds and store in the refrigerator for a few days.
- Dressing – you can make the dressing a day or two in advance.
Pomegranate Salad Recipe Nutrition + Substitutes:
If you want to swap out any of the ingredients and toppings, here are a few swaps:
- Dressing – You could also use balsamic dressing, my simple balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- Pomegranate seeds – It obviously won’t be a salad with pomegranate seeds without the pomegranate seeds, but if you have trouble finding pomegranates you could always use dried cranberries or cherries. They’ll give a similar sweet, but tart flavor to the salad.
- Nuts – I’ve made this winter green salad with pomegranates and walnuts or pecans, either work well, so feel free to use what you have or what you prefer.
- Kale – I prefer to use dino (lacinato) kale for this pomegranate salad with feta cheese, but you could also use green (curly). Give it a little massage after you dress it to help tenderize it a bit.
More Easy Salad Recipes:
If you like this green salad with pomegranate and walnuts, you might also like some of these other simple salad recipes:
- Chickpea Chopped Salad – This 5-minute salad comes together in a flash and is a light compliment to Italian meals like lazy lasagna.
- Simple Green Salad – Aka, our house salad. Takes just 10 minutes and 7 ingredients.
- Napa Cabbage Coleslaw – This is our favorite slaw recipe! Made with crunchy napa and blue cheese, it pairs well with steak, grilled chicken drumsticks, or any summer meal.
- Celery, Carrot, and Blue Cheese Coleslaw – Major crunch in this simple veggie salad that goes perfect with buffalo chicken sandwiches or buffalo turkey burgers.
- Arugula Salad with Dried Figs – Another great holiday salad option, this one has peppery arugula, sweet figs, and salty blue cheese. Ready in just 10 minutes.
- Garbanzo Bean Salad – Another 10 minute salad! (Sensing a theme here with my salads?!) This one is filling enough for lunch, throw it over greens or sliced cucumber.
Helpful Tools to Make Kale Pomegranate Salad:
- Microplane Zester – This zester is a must for my pomegranate salad recipe! Not only are we using it for lemon zest, but it’s a great way to grate the garlic so that there aren’t big chunks of raw garlic in the salad.
- Citrus Juicer – The fastest way to get citrus juice for the kale pomegranate salad dressing – and ensure you don’t waste any by trying to do it by hand.
Kale pomegranate salad recipe takes just 15 min to prep! Serve pomegranate salad for Christmas or Thanksgiving, it’s gorgeous on the table.
- Prepare ingredients:
Wash and dry kale. Remove stems and thinly slice. (Into really thin ribbons.)
Whisk together lemon juice and zest, garlic, olive oil, honey, salt, and pepper until emulsified.
- Toss dressing with kale and lightly massage until combined. Let sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle feta cheese, walnuts, and pomegranate arils on top.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- You can use dino (lacinato) or green (curly) kale. If you use green kale, let it sit with the dressing a little bit longer if possible!
- Pecans or your nut of choice can also be used.
Keywords: pomegranate salad, kale pomegranate salad, pomegranate salad recipe