If you’re looking for a gorgeous side or salad for holiday tables…you’ve found it! This kale pomegranate salad recipe is simple, flavorful, and made with just 8 ingredients (a lot of pantry staples, too!). My kale and pomegranate salad is made with deep green kale (beautiful and nutritious), a bright lemon dressing, salty feta, crunchy nuts, and sweet and tart pomegranate seeds. Try this pomegranate salad for Christmas or Thanksgiving!
Serve this pomegranate salad for lamb, or along side your holiday meals. I love making this pomegranate salad for Christmas and Thanksgiving (along with sausage stuffing, spatchcock turkey, air fryer turkey breast, cheesy potato casserole!) because it’s a bright side to a lot of heavier dishes AND it looks gorgeous on the table.
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About Kale Pomegranate Salad
- Kale and Pomegranate Salad Ingredients
- How to Make Kale Pomegranate Salad
- Storage Instructions
- How to Serve Kale Salad to the Whole Family
- Substitutes + Nutrition
- What to Serve with Kale and Pomegranate Salad
- More Easy Salad Recipes
- It’s 5pm. Are you still wondering what’s for dinner?
- Helpful Tools to Make Kale and Pomegranate Salad
- Pin this kale pomegranate salad recipe for later!
What You’ll Love About Kale Pomegranate Salad
- Gorgeous colors (hence the Christmas salad name!)
- Different textures (crunchy, creamy, juicy)
- Made with simple ingredients
- Easy to prep-ahead
- Nutritious side dish full of veggies
Kale and Pomegranate Salad Ingredients
This pomegranate salad recipe is made with just 8 simple ingredients:
- Kale – I recommend using dinosaur (lacinato kale) for best results, but green curly kale will also work.
- Lemon – Use fresh lemon juice as we are using zest as well. You could also use a white balsamic vinegar.
- Garlic – Use a garlic clove instead of jarred for best flavor.
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Feta cheese – If you can find it, block feta has much better flavor than already crumbled.
- Nuts – Use chopped walnuts. You could also use pecans, almonds, or pumpkin seeds.
- Pomegranate – You can buy the pomegranates fresh or buy a package of the arils (seeds) only.
How to Make Kale Pomegranate Salad
This kale and pomegranate salad is beyond easy! As I mentioned, I think it’s the perfect side for the holidays. Serve this pomegranate salad for Christmas or Thanksgiving for a light, bright side. Here’s how to make it:
- Prep kale. Wash kale and dry well. Remove stems and thinly slice into ribbons and add to a large bowl.
- Make dressing. Zest lemon and garlic using a microplane zester. Squeeze lemon juice with a citrus juicer, and whisk the lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper together. Or shake dressing ingredients together in a mason jar.
- Assemble pomegranate salad recipe. Toss kale with dressing and lightly massage (if using dino kale you don’t need to do this as it’s more tender). Toss before serving, and top with pomegranate arils, walnuts, and feta cheese. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
TIP: If you dress your salad a few hours or a day before, it might seem dry. Drizzle with olive oil and a fresh squeeze of lemon juice before adding toppings.
Store this pomegranate salad recipe in the refrigerator without toppings for one day. Because kale is a hearty green, it’s ok to leave it dressed for a day.
If you want to prep some of the pomegranate salad with feta cheese ingredients ahead, here’s what you can do:
- Kale – wash and dry kale. Thinly slice into ribbons.
- Pomegranate seeds – If you’re buying a whole pomegranate, you can remove seeds and store in the refrigerator for a few days.
- Dressing – you can make the dressing a day or two in advance.
How to Serve Kale Salad to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in. 😉
Start with a TINY portion. How tiny? One sliver of kale, one pomegranate aril, one small piece of nut.
Substitutes + Nutrition
If you want to swap out any of the ingredients and toppings, here are a few ways you can add even more nutrition into this meal:
- Dressing – You could also use balsamic dressing, my simple balsamic vinaigrette dressing
- Pomegranate seeds – It obviously won’t be a salad with pomegranate seeds without the pomegranate seeds, but if you have trouble finding pomegranates you could always use dried cranberries or cherries. They’ll give a similar sweet, but tart flavor to the salad.
- Nuts – I’ve made this winter green salad with pomegranates and walnuts or pecans, either work well, so feel free to use what you have or what you prefer.
- Kale – I prefer to use dino (lacinato) kale for this pomegranate salad with feta cheese, but you could also use green (curly). Give it a little massage after you dress it to help tenderize it a bit.
What to Serve with Kale and Pomegranate Salad
Serve this kale and pomegranate salad recipe along with one of these protein main dishes:
- Crock Pot Chicken and Potatoes
- Crispy Curry Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer Tilapia
- Skillet Gnocchi
- Fish Cakes
More Easy Salad Recipes
If you like this green salad with pomegranate and walnuts, you might also like some of these other simple salad recipes:
- Kale Apple Slaw
- Simple Lemon Kale Salad
- Lemon Arugula Salad
- Everyday Side Salad
- 16 Prosciutto Salad Recipes
It’s 5pm. Are you still wondering what’s for dinner?
Menu Plans by My Everyday Table can help you out.
The plan addresses three major issues when it comes to weeknight dinners: having a plan, time, and one family meal.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and feel calm when 5pm hits because your dinner is already planned.
Helpful Tools to Make Kale and Pomegranate Salad
- Microplane Zester – This zester is a must for my pomegranate salad recipe! Not only are we using it for lemon zest, but it’s a great way to grate the garlic so that there aren’t big chunks of raw garlic in the salad.
- Citrus Juicer – The fastest way to get citrus juice for the kale pomegranate salad dressing – and ensure you don’t waste any by trying to do it by hand.
Kale pomegranate salad recipe takes just 15 min to prep! Serve pomegranate salad for Christmas or Thanksgiving, it’s gorgeous on the table.
- Prepare ingredients:
Wash and dry kale. Remove stems and thinly slice. (Into really thin ribbons.)
Whisk together lemon juice and zest, garlic, olive oil, honey, salt, and pepper until emulsified.
- Toss dressing with kale and lightly massage until combined. Let sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle feta cheese, walnuts, and pomegranate arils on top.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- You can use dino (lacinato) or green (curly) kale. If you use green kale, let it sit with the dressing a little bit longer if possible!
- Pecans or your nut of choice can also be used.
Keywords: pomegranate salad, kale pomegranate salad, pomegranate salad recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!