This irresistible homemade sweet and salty Chex Mix recipe hits on all of the flavors you are looking for at snack time. Just like my dill ranch Chex Mix, this version is a twist on the original, incredibly easy-to-make, and includes directions for both oven and microwave cooking. I can’t wait for you to try it!
If you love snacky appetizers, be sure to try my chili cheese dip, chipotle corn salsa, or charcuterie boards (I have a chocolate hummus board, Trader Joe’s cheese board and Costco cheese board options) next for easy, delicious snacking.
Estimated reading time: 6 minutes
Table of Contents
What You’ll Love About Sweet and Salty Chex Mix Recipe
- Has both salty and sweet flavors
- Perfect snack or treat
- Easy to customize
- Minimal prep
- 65 minutes total time (mostly hands-off)
- Made with just 8 simple ingredients
The ingredients to make this homemade sweet and salty Chex mix are pretty basic:
- Butter – Use high quality butter for best flavor.
- Brown sugar – Brown sugar gives it a rich and caramel-like flavor, but you could also use regular white sugar, coconut sugar, or your sweetener of choice. Many sweet Chex mix recipes use light corn syrup, but we’ve made our own with this combination of butter and sugar.
- Vanilla – Use high quality vanilla extract for best flavor.
- Chex cereal – Use a combination of Chex cereal. Most Chex Mix recipes call for 3 cups corn Chex, 3 cups rice Chex, and 3 cups wheat Chex, but I usually omit the wheat. If you love it, definitely add it in. You could also use the peanut butter Chex or any other flavor that would work well with the sweet and salty flavors.
- Honey roasted peanuts – We’re adding sweet flavor with these honey roasted peanuts. You could also use honey roasted or sweet almonds, cashews, or any other nuts.
- Salted peanuts – We love peanuts, so kept the nuts 100% peanuts in this salty snack mix, but you could use mixed nuts, almonds, or your favorite nuts here. Look for roasted and salted or lightly salted.
- Pretzels – Use a small pretzel like tiny twists, pretzel crisps (shaped more like a cracker), or pretzel sticks.
- Flaky sea salt – We finish the Chex Mix with some flaky sea salt for some extra salty crunch.
How to Make Sweet and Salty Chex Mix in the Oven
Let’s get to this healthy sweet and salty Chex mix! It’s easy to make and I’ve included directions for both the oven and the microwave.
- Melt seasoned butter. Melt butter in a large bowl and whisk in brown sugar, vanilla, and a pinch of sea salt until smooth.
- Mix the mix. Add cereal, peanuts, and mini pretzels to the bowl and gently stir to coat all of the cereal and pretzels.
- Bake Chex mix. Spread out cereal mixture on a large baking sheet or roasting pan and bake until golden brown, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Finish. Sprinkle with a bit of flaky sea salt and let cool completely.
How to Microwave Chex Mix
I prefer to bake Chex Mix, but you can absolutely microwave it if you prefer or are short on time.
Make sure you are using a large mixing bowl (maybe split it into two batches if necessary) and microwave on high for 5-6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Spread on paper towel to cool.
Chex Mix Extras
If you want to add some extras to your Chex party mix, I’ve got ideas for you! Here are some optional additions you might want to try:
- Chocolate chips
- White chocolate chips
- Peanut butter chips
- Reese’s pieces
- Peanut m&ms
- Candied nuts
Store the snack mix in an airtight container (stasher bags work well!) for up to two weeks.
Can you freeze Chex Mix?
Yes, you can freeze Chex Mix or prep it ahead of holidays. Store in a freezer-safe bag for up to three months.
More Easy Snack Recipes
If you like this recipe for sweet and salty Chex mix, you might also like these other easy snack recipes:
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning?
Hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm because your dinner is already planned.
Sweet and Salty Chex Mix Recipe
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 16 servings (1 cup each) 1x
- Category: Snack
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
This homemade sweet and salty Chex Mix recipe is perfect for afternoon snacking – no matter what flavors you are craving!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- 4 1/2 cups corn Chex cereal
- 4 1/2 cups rice Chex cereal
- 1 cup honey roasted peanuts
- 1 cup salted peanuts
- 2 cups tiny pretzel twists
- flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, melt butter. Whisk in sugar, vanilla, and pinch of sea salt until it’s dissolved.
- Add cereal, peanuts, and pretzels to bowl and toss to combine.
- Spread on a large baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with flaky sea salt and let cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Keywords: sweet and salty chex mix recipe, sweet and salty chex mix
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!
Did you like this recipe? Please leave a review and let me know what you thought! I appreciate it so much.