If I had to choose my favorite weeknight cooking methods? It would be the slow cooker and easy sheet pan dinners. You can’t beat a few minutes of prep, followed by letting the oven do the work. I always suggest taking a few minutes for yourself (wine? book? silence?) once this baked gnocchi sausage sheet pan dinner is in the oven, but let’s be real. You’re probably cleaning up the kitchen. But you do you. 😉 This healthy sheet pan dinner has all of the components you need in a meal and takes just 10 minutes to prep.
Dinner’s ready in less than 30 minutes. Not because that’s nice, but because that’s necessary.
We took this healthy sheet pan dinner in an Italian direction and yes, we’re baking gnocchi in the oven. We have flavorful Italian sausage, a variety of vegetables, gnocchi, and plenty of olive oil and Italian seasoning to bring it all together. It’s a must make!
What are Sheet Pan Dinners?
Sheet pan dinner recipes are an awesome way to make easy and quick meals! The basic premise is that everything is cooked in one pan – less prep, less dishes!
I like to include all of the meal components (protein, vegetables, starch) on one sheet pan. Once the components are prepped, you can sit back while your meal bakes. That’s what makes the best sheet pan dinners in my opinion!
Can You Bake Gnocchi?
Yes! You can bake gnocchi! I know it sounds a little odd, because pasta normally needs to be boiled, but because gnocchi is essentially a fresh pasta, it works!
I actually love the texture of roasted gnocchi better than boiling it!
TIP: Make sure to use regular sized gnocchi, and not a mini gnocchi.
How to Make Baked Gnocchi Sausage Sheet Pan Dinner:
This baked gnocchi recipe is easy! Simply chop everything up and throw it together. Here’s how we make this gnocchi and sausage bake recipe:
- Prepare your ingredients. Slice chicken sausage on the bias (diagonal). Cut onion into half moons. Cut peppers into 2 inch pieces.
- Mound all of the ingredients on a large sheet pan. Drizzle olive oil over the top, sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and spread out on the pan.
- Bake! Bake the chicken and gnocchi recipe for about 10 minutes, give everything a stir, and cook for another 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
Sheet Pan Dinner Tips:
Healthy sheet pan dinners are easy (that’s the whole point!) but I do have a few tips to ensure that they turn out perfectly each and every time:
- Use a big enough pan. You want all of the pieces to be touching pan and not be over-crowded. Sometimes this may mean using two sheet pans.
- Use cooked chicken sausage. In this sausage sheet pan dinner, we’re using Italian chicken sausage that is already pre-cooked. You could also use another flavor of sausage as long as it works with Italian flavors.
How to Store Sheet Pan Dinner Leftovers:
If you have any leftovers, simply store the vegetable gnocchi bake in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Re-heat it in a hot oven or in the microwave until hot throughout.
Baked Gnocchi Nutrition + Swaps:
The gnocchi and Italian sausage sheet pan dinner calories will vary a bit depending on sausage brand, but an estimate (1/4 of the recipe) is 540 calories. The full nutrition stats can be found below the recipe card.
If you want to swap out any of the ingredients and toppings, here are a few ways you can add even more nutrition into this meal:
- Gnocchi: You can use a whole wheat gnocchi if it’s available to you.
- Add extra vegetables. Serve this healthy sheet pan dinner over a bed of spinach, arugula, or lightly sautéed kale.
- More protein. If you need more protein or a heartier meal, add another pack of Italian sausage. (You’ll probably need to add another sheet pan!)
More Easy Sheet Pan Dinners:
- Chicken Thigh Sheet Pan Dinner – This classic dinner uses a cooking trick to bake the potatoes as fast as the chicken and broccoli.
- Chicken Sausage + Vegetable Sheet Pan Dinner – This version is similar to this crispy gnocchi recipe, but features cauliflower and potatoes.
- One Pan Sausage & Veggies – This healthy meal prep makes a great lunch that’s got veggies, starch, and protein covered!
- Italian One Pan Sausage & Veggies – A twist on the recipe above, if you love Italian flavors like this sausage sheet pan dinner, you’ll love this meal prep version perfect for lunches on-the-go.
Helpful Tools for Healthy Sheet Pan Dinners:
- Glass Storage Containers – If you love to meal prep, you need these handy glass containers. This set comes in a variety of sizes and is really high-quality.
- Extra Large Sheet Pan – Make sure your ingredients have enough space to not be crowded! These pans are great and inexpensive!
This HEALTHY sheet pan dinner takes just 10 minutes to prep! Baked gnocchi (yes!) sausage sheet pan dinner is a full meal cooked on one pan. EASY + family friendly.
- 12 oz. Italian chicken sausage
- 1 small red onion
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 16 oz. grape or cherry tomatoes
- 16 oz. package of gnocchi
- 4 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- pinch black pepper
- for serving: grated parmesan cheese, olive oil, red pepper flakes
- Prepare Ingredients:
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Slice chicken sausage on the bias.
Cut onion into half moons.
Cut peppers into 2 inch pieces.
- Pile sausage, onion, peppers, tomatoes and gnocchi on a sheet pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stirring half way through. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, grated parmesan cheese, and red pepper flakes if desired.
- Get your kids involved! They can help slice peppers (with kid knife); toss everything together on the pan; top their bowl.
Keywords: easy sheet pan dinners, baked gnocchi, healthy sheet pan dinners