Pasta Fagioli soup, or ze best pasta e fagioli I like to call it, might just become your newest favorite soup recipe. This pasta fagioli recipe has everything going for it: flavorful Italian sausage, pasta and garbanzo beans, and my favorite soup ingredient…marinara sauce!
Once I started adding marinara sauce to soups, I haven’t stopped. And I never will! It adds major depth of flavor, but doesn’t require simmering over the stove for hours to make it happen.
What is Pasta e Fagioli?
Pasta e fagioli literally translates to pasta and beans. It’s a classic Italian soup dish made with beans, a flavorful brothy base, and pasta!
How to Pronounce Fagioli?
Want to sound like a real Italian? Here’s how to pronounce fagioli: fah/DJOH/lee.
How to Make Pasta Fagioli Soup
This pasta e fagioli recipe may be hard to pronounce, but it’s easy to make!
- Prep ingredients. Dice onion, celery, and carrots. Mince garlic.
- Saute mirepoix. Heat oil in a large stock pot or dutch oven and saute onion, celery, carrots, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brown Italian sausage. Add beans, broth, and marinara to pot. Stir together and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
How to Store Pasta Fagioli with Sausage
Store the pasta e fagioli soup in the refrigerator for 4-5 days. I prefer to store the soup separate from the pasta so that the pasta doesn’t get mushy.
Can You Freeze Pasta e Fagioli?
Yes, you can freeze this easy pasta fagioli, just make sure you don’t freeze the pasta. Make the pasta fresh so that it doesn’t get mushy.
More Easy Soup Recipes
- Sausage & Lentil Soup – Another recipe that utilizes a little sausage (that goes a long way!) and beans.
- Mexican Chicken Taco Soup – The Mexi flavors you love in soup form.
- Easy Minestrone Soup – Just 10 ingredients for this vegetarian favorite.
- Lasagna Soup – Pasta a must for your soup? You’ve got to try this one!
- Homemade Chili – The fastest way to make rich and flavorful chili.
My EASY pasta fagioli soup recipe is ready in just 30 minutes with my favorite soup ingredient that adds major flavor without the simmer time!
- 1/2 white onion
- 4 stalks celery
- 4 carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. Italian sausage (raw)
- 1 1/2 cups small pasta
- 2 14.5-oz. cans garbanzo beans
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Prepare ingredients:
Dice onion, celery, and carrots. Mince garlic.
- Heat oil in large stock pot. When hot add onion, celery, carrots and garlic.
- Season with 1/4 tsp. of salt and pepper and cook for about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove casings from sausage if necessary and add to pan. Cook for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans, broth, and marinara to pot and stir together. Bring to a boil, and lower heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally for about 15-20 minutes. Taste soup and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package instructions, to al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Place pasta in a bowl, ladle soup over it. Top with garnishes: squeeze of fresh lemon, drizzle of olive oil, and parmesan cheese.
- Get your kids involved! They can: rinse beans and stir soup, tear lettuce, sprinkle salad with croutons, top their own soup.
- Italian sausage: you want raw sausage here, and ideally it’s not in casings. If you can only find it with the casings on, just carefully slit the casing and remove the sausage, discarding the casings.
Pasta Fagioli Soup Recipe | My EASY pasta fagioli soup recipe is ready in just 30 minutes with my favorite soup ingredient that adds major flavor without the simmer time! #pastafagioli