My EASY pasta fagioli soup recipe is ready in just 30 minutes with my favorite soup ingredient that adds major flavor without the simmer time!
- 1/2 white onion
- 4 stalks celery
- 4 carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 lb. Italian sausage (raw)
- 1 1/2 cups small pasta
- 2 14.5-oz. cans garbanzo beans
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Prepare ingredients:
Dice onion, celery, and carrots. Mince garlic.
- Heat oil in large stock pot. When hot add onion, celery, carrots and garlic.
- Season with 1/4 tsp. of salt and pepper and cook for about 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove casings from sausage if necessary and add to pan. Cook for another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans, broth, and marinara to pot and stir together. Bring to a boil, and lower heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally for about 15-20 minutes. Taste soup and adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package instructions, to al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Place pasta in a bowl, ladle soup over it. Top with garnishes: squeeze of fresh lemon, drizzle of olive oil, and parmesan cheese.
- Get your kids involved! They can: rinse beans and stir soup, tear lettuce, sprinkle salad with croutons, top their own soup.
- Italian sausage: you want raw sausage here, and ideally it’s not in casings. If you can only find it with the casings on, just carefully slit the casing and remove the sausage, discarding the casings.