This sheet pan grilled cheese is the way to go when you need dinner (or lunch) in a hurry – with mostly hands-off time since you don’t have to worry about flipping and watching them on the stovetop. Simply assemble this easy grilled cheese, bake, and serve! You’ll have a crunchy and gooey cheese sandwich that oozes with melty cheese and just like my lobster grilled cheese, tomato mozzarella panini, and turkey pesto panini, the more cheese the better in my book! 😉
I created this easy grilled cheese in the oven as an activity night meal for the Weeknight Dinner Club. Within the meal planning app, we have a weekly “activity night” dinner (aka dinners that take 15 minutes or less) perfect for the nights you have sports, or dance, or music. If you also need these quick and easy weeknight dinners, be sure to try my chicken and rice burrito, chili-spiced chicken tostadas, dumpling soup, spaghetti with meat sauce, turkey lettuce wraps, and crispy black bean tacos next time.
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About Sheet Pan Grilled Cheese
- How to Cook a Grilled Cheese in the Oven
- Storage Instructions
- How to Serve Easy Grilled Cheese to the Whole Family
- What to Serve with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- More Easy Sandwich Recipes
What You’ll Love About Sheet Pan Grilled Cheese
- Everyone can make their own sandwich – just how they like it
- Simple, comfort food meal
- Easiest way to make grilled cheese for a crowd
- Just 2 minutes prep time
- Just 10 minutes cook time
- Just 15 minutes total time
You don’t need a ton of ingredients to make the best easy grilled cheese! Here are the basics and then some ideas for fun grilled cheese additions:
- Bread – You can use so many different types of bread for grilled cheese. Classic white bread, wheat bread, multigrain bread, Italian bread, or your favorite artisan bread like sourdough or a French boule.
- Butter – Butter helps create a perfectly golden brown and crispy exterior, but you can also use mayonnaise! Mayonnaise performs just as well, it really comes down to a preference in flavor. Or use a flavored mayo (truffle!!!) for a nice addition of flavor.
- Cheese – Use a variety of cheeses. It’s a great way to use up those bits of cheese in your fridge. Simply grate or thinly slice and put out a spread of cheeses and let everyone create their own sandwich. Here is a whole list of cheeses to try:
- Cheddar cheese
- White cheddar
- Sharp cheddar
- American cheese
- Monterey jack cheese
- Pepper jack cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Extras – If you want to upgrade this sheet pan grilled cheese recipe, try adding cooked bacon, thinly sliced deli ham, slices of prosciutto, sautéed mushrooms, caramelized onions, roasted grape tomatoes, a sprinkle of garlic powder, a drizzle of truffle oil, or a thick spread of pesto or mustard.
How to Cook a Grilled Cheese in the Oven
Let’s get to this grilled cheese on a sheet pan! Here’s how we make them:
- Pre-heat oven. Place baking sheet pan in the oven while it’s pre-heating – this helps get a nice and golden brown sandwich.
- Assemble sandwiches. Butter outer sides of bread slice. Layer a slice of bread (butter side down) and then add various cheese to the inside of the sandwich to your preferences. Top with other slice of bread (butter side up) and your sandwich is ready to bake.
TIP: For best flavor, add a few different types of cheeses. It’s a great way to use up small amounts of cheese!
- Bake grilled cheese. Place sandwich buttered-side down on sheet pan and bake until golden brown, flipping half way through baking time.
This grilled cheese is best served immediately.
How to reheat
If you have leftover grilled cheese, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Reheat in a hot skillet or air fryer.
Can you freeze grilled cheese?
You can prep grilled cheese ahead and freeze BEFORE cooking. Simply assemble your grilled cheese and store in a single layer in a freezer bag (stasher bags work well) and then bake from frozen. You may need to add a minute or two of cooking time to get all of the cheese melty and a golden brown color.
How to Serve Easy Grilled Cheese to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in. 😉
Typically, an easy grilled cheese sandwich is a pretty kid-friendly food, but that of course doesn’t mean that every child will like it.
I always have better luck when I get my kids involved in the process, so they assemble their own sandwich so they can choose what cheese or cheeses to include.
You could also serve the sandwich components deconstructed and let them build their own “sandwich” – cold or warm. And as always, be sure to serve the meal with a few items you know they will eat like milk, fruit, or another safe food.
What to Serve with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Serve this simple grilled cheese with a quick and easy side:
- Tomato soup
- Chicken pastina soup
- Minestrone soup
- Greek cucumber salad
- Air fryer cauliflower and broccoli
More Easy Sandwich Recipes
If you like these sheet pan grilled cheese sandwiches, you might also like some of these other easy sandwich recipes:
- Cheesy Chicken Parmesan Sliders
- Caesar Salad Wraps
- Best Lobster Grilled Cheese
- Tomato Mozzarella Panini
- Smoked Salmon Sandwich with Cucumber Ribbons
In a dinner time rut? Overwhelmed with the task of meal planning?
Hand over meal planning to a pro!
This done-for-you plan can easily be customized and your grocery list is made with the click of a button – all while you sit in the school pick up line.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and go into meals calm because your dinner is already planned.
This EASY sheet pan grilled cheese takes 2 minutes to prep and is a quick and easy weeknight dinner. Let everyone get involved and build their own!
- 8 slices bread
- 4 Tbsp. butter or mayo (see note below)
- 8 oz. muenster cheese slices
- 4 oz. shredded mild cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven AND SHEET PAN to 450 degrees F.
- Assemble grilled cheese. Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter or mayonnaise. Layer sliced and shredded cheese in between slices of bread, butter sides facing out and place onto hot pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden brown, flipping after 6 minutes.
- You can use a variety of cheeses, see list above! I like putting out a spread of whatever random cheeses we have in the fridge.
- Mayonnaise also works well and creates a golden brown and crunchy exterior, it really comes down to what you have and your personal preference. I tend to sway butter unless there is some truffle mayo in the fridge.
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!