If you’re on social media and you watch the viral and trending food videos, you may have seen this recent trend that upon further digging, I realized is actually two trends. One is the magic shell smoothie bowl and the other is the magic shell yogurt cup. The recipe for the magic shell smoothie bowl was originally seen in a TikTok video from @ballehurns and she put it over a fruit smoothie bowl. This video is almost at 9 million views!
Read on for the origins of the smoothie bowl, the yogurt cups, and how to make it yourself, plus my honest opinion and whether I’ll make it again.
Original Magic Shell TikTok Video
Eventually, the magic shell was used as the topping over a yogurt cup, which then started trending all over Instagram and TikTok. After digging through many viral videos on both Instagram and TikTok, it appears that the peanut butter yogurt cup with magic shell was initially created by @djblatner in April of 2023. The origins of these trends can be difficult to track down as they spread so fast!
Original Magic Shell Yogurt Cup
This video then set off multiple other videos with the same concept of yogurt cups that also went viral. So, let’s get into the details of the magic shell yogurt cup.
- High in protein
- Easy to make
- Sweet and satisfying
- Uses everyday ingredients
- Described as tasting like a Snickers, which is questionable
- The magic shell topping is fun, but I didn’t love that it wasn’t spread throughout the yogurt cup
- Have to dirty a few dishes
You’ll need just a few basic ingredients to make your own magic shell yogurt cup:
- Yogurt – Many creators are using Siggi’s yogurt (technically, it’s Icelandic skyr, similar to Greek yogurt, but has less naturally occurring sugars.), but you could also use Greek yogurt. As for flavored and plain, it’s really up to you. Some thought plain Greek yogurt was too tart so a flavored one might be a great option. Try vanilla for a basic version or a fruit version that pairs well with chocolate.
- Peanut butter – This helps to add protein, fiber, and healthy fats to this snack/dessert but you could also use any nut butter or even powdered peanut butter if you prefer that. I think a smooth, thinner peanut butter is easier to stir into the yogurt, but you could also use a 100% peanuts version.
- Chocolate – Use a dark chocolate…or whatever chocolate you prefer. You’ll want something that melts well. I used semi-sweet chocolate chips as it’s what I had.
- Coconut oil – This can help melt your chocolate and get it really silky and smooth. I didn’t use it as my chocolate melted fine without it.
- Peanuts – The peanuts add some nice crunch and texture, though you could use any chopped nuts.
- Flaky sea salt – The flaky salt adds another layer of crunch and gives a nice salty bite alongside the sweet, tart, and bitter flavors.
How to Make Magic Shell Yogurt Cups
- Mix yogurt and peanut butter. Stir in a spoonful of peanut butter into your yogurt until well incorporated.
- Melt chocolate. Slowly melt chocolate in microwave, using coconut oil to help if desired.
- Top yogurt. Drizzle chocolate over yogurt and swirl around so it covers the whole top. Sprinkle with chopped nuts and salt if using.
- Chill. Put yogurt cup in the freezer for about 10 minutes, until chocolate has hardened.
- Crack. Crack into the magic shell and eat!
I thought it was a fun snack, but I won’t make it again. I have a similar yogurt bowl for breakfast many mornings, and I prefer that. My breakfast bowl is simply plain Greek yogurt with peanut butter mixed in and topped with chocolate chip granola. It has the peanut butter flavor, and nutrition benefits of Greek yogurt, but I prefer the sweeter, crunchier granola to the bitter chocolate topping.
Nutrition-wise, it’s a great snack or treat that’s loaded with protein, healthy fats, and fiber. (Which is also why I have my own version for breakfast so frequently!)
Final thoughts – I love trying out food trends and think so much of it comes down to personal preference so give it a try for yourself. I would not describe it as a Snickers. 🙂
This key lime version is similar to the Chobani key lime flip: key lime yogurt, white chocolate, and graham crackers. Instead of white chocolate chips, @onceuponapumpkin makes a white chocolate magic shell.
And here’s a chocolate-covered strawberry version.
So. Would you try this?