I can’t wait for you to try my BBQ turkey burgers recipe! Making homemade turkey burgers isn’t hard, but I’ve got a few tips to ensure they are juicy, delicious, and FULL of flavor! Keep reading to learn how to make turkey burgers. Hint: 4 ingredients and 20 minutes!
If you’re wondering how to cook turkey burgers, this healthy turkey burger recipe + post has all of the answers you need! Let me know what you think of the recipe when you try it, I love to see your creations.
How To Make Turkey Burgers:
These easy turkey burgers make weeknight grilling FAST and healthy. First we’re going to mix up the burgers. I like to make 6 oz. burgers because 4 oz. feels too small! So I usually get 2 lbs. of ground turkey and turn it into 6 burgers.
Being careful to not overmix the meat, combine the ingredients for the bbq sauce turkey burgers (turkey, bbq sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper).
Then divide meat into 6 portions and gently form into a patty shape, using your thumb to form an indent in the middle so they don’t puff up while cooking.
Now it’s turkey burger grill time! (Don’t skip the tips below for the perfect homemade turkey burgers.)
How Long to Grill Turkey Burgers:
Cooking time for bbq ground turkey burgers will vary a bit, depending on your grill and/or pan, but a general rule of thumb is about 8-10 minutes, flipping the burger half-way through the cooking time.
I preheat the grill to medium-high heat and then grill for 5 minutes, flip burgers and put in a meat thermometer to take them off the grill right when it reaches 165 degrees F, usually about 3-5 minutes, depending on how hot your grill is.
Don’t forget to let the burgers rest for a few minutes!
How Many Calories in a Turkey Burger?
My bbq turkey burgers have 286 calories. In the recipe card below, you’ll find the full nutrition stats that include the toppings, bun, and side of baked beans. But here are the highlights for JUST the burger:
- 286 calories
- 15 grams fat
- 6 grams carbohydrates
- 32 grams protein
Are Turkey Burgers Healthy?
Yes turkey burgers are healthy! The term healthy is tough because it means different things to different people. I happen to think all food is healthy – some may be more nutritious – but it all provides energy. 🙂
These bbq turkey burgers are a great source of protein, and if you serve them with the suggested baked beans, you’ll get half of the fiber you need for the day.
To me, a healthy meal is one that has nutritious components, is satisfying, and is easy to make! This turkey burger meal fits the bill!
How to Make Juicy Turkey Burgers:
A common complaint of leaner burgers is that they get dried out, which is not something we want to happen with our meat! We’re after moist turkey burgers, and here are a few tips to ensure that happens.
TIPS: How to Make Turkey Burgers
- Buy the ground turkey in a tray, not a tube. The meat in the tubes always seems to be overworked. (See more on that below.)
- Get lean, but not EXTRA-LEAN turkey. You want your burger to have some fat in it, but if you get the 99% fat-free meat, it will be dry. This is usually a blend of light and dark turkey meat. Ground turkey breast will be light meat only. (And not what we want.)
- Don’t overwork the meat. Incorporate the ingredients into the ground turkey, but don’t
- Add in some flavor into the meat. We’re adding BBQ sauce and cheddar for these burgers, but a touch of mayonnaise or other liquid seasoning can work well, too.
- Oil the grill to prevent them from sticking. Don’t skip this step!
Toppings for Homemade Turkey Burgers:
I like to keep turkey burger toppings on the simple side, with some fresh flavor and a little….
- Butter lettuce leaves
- Red onion slices (or white onion, whatever you prefer)
- Ketchup (optional)
Learn how to make turkey burgers at home! BBQ Turkey Burgers are HEALTHY, juicy, + full of flavor. Just 20 min + 4 ingredients for homemade turkey burgers.
- 2 lbs. ground turkey (90-93% lean)
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup bbq sauce + more for serving
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 32 oz. baked beans
- 6 leaves of lettuce
- 1 large tomato (slicing tomato)
- white onion slices
- 6 hamburger buns
- Prep burgers: mix together turkey, salt, pepper, bbq sauce, and shredded cheddar until just combined, to not overwork meat. Divide meat into 6 patties. Lightly form into patty shape, making an indent with fingers in the middle of burger.
- Cook burgers: heat grill to medium high heat. Cook for about 4-5 minutes per side. Alternatively, heat grill pan over medium high heat and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side. (Or until an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.) After you flip the burgers, top with a slather of BBQ sauce.
- While burgers are cooking, heat beans according to package instructions and prep lettuce, onion, and tomato.
- Assemble burgers: layer lettuce on bottom bun. Top with burger, onions, tomatoes, and ketchup and mayonnaise as desired.
- Get your kids involved! They can: build their own burgers.
Keywords: bbq turkey burger