This easy shrimp okonomiyaki recipe may sound exotic (and it IS totally delicious!), but it’s also surprisingly simple to make!
Estimated reading time: 1 minute
What is okonomiyaki?
It’s a savory “pancake,” similar to a Korean scallion pancake, but made with shredded cabbage, flour, eggs, and some simple seasonings. We’ve included shrimp in this versionPrint
The whole family will love this easy shrimp okonomiyaki recipe (savory shrimp pancakes) that’s served with a lime mayo sauce. Ready in 30!
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tsp. soy sauce, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces shredded green cabbage (or coleslaw mix) (about 6 cups)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 12 ounces raw shrimp, thawed and diced
- vegetable oil for frying
- sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lime juice, and 1 teaspoon soy sauce. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and sesame oil. Whisk in flour until smooth. Stir in coleslaw mix, green onions, and shrimp.
- Heat vegetable oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
- Add 1/3 cup of shrimp mixture and fry for about 2 to 3 minutes per side, until pancake is golden brown and cooked through. If they are cooking too quickly or browning, turn heat down a bit.
- Add a little oil to pan between batches and repeat until all batter is used.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with lime mayonnaise.
- This works best with finely shredded coleslaw mix or angel hair coleslaw mix. If you shred it yourself, be sure to use a food processor or grater or the pieces will be too big and make the pancakes hard to cook properly.
- Makes about 16 pancakes (4 pancakes per serving)
Keywords: easy shrimp okonomiyaki, okonomiyaki recipe