This EASY blueberry banana smoothie takes just 5 minutes to make and 5 ingredients that you probably already have! Learn how to make a blueberry smoothie (spoiler: it’s SIMPLE) and easy ways to make this healthy blueberry smoothie customized just for YOU!
This smoothie was inspired by a smoothie bar in our old West Hollywood neighborhood called earthbar. When we took my brother, he described it as a “yuppy, wannabe-hippy smoothie place.” Wannabe-hippy in the sense that it’s not that hippy. It’s more Range Rover than Prius; more spinning than yoga; and more $10 green juice than kale-from-the-garden. Either way, I loved knowing that concoctions to cure everything from a cold to a hangover were just a few blocks away.
At earthbar, this is called the blueberry bliss smoothie and it is quite blissful. It’s creamy, sweet and delicious.
This healthy blueberry smoothie recipe was originally posted in June 2014 and updated in July 2020 to include helpful tips and new pictures.
Blueberry Smoothie Ingredients
One of the reasons this is the best blueberry banana smoothie is that you only need five ingredients!
How To Make A Blueberry Smoothie
how to make a blueberry smoothie? BLEND IT!
Seriously. All you need to do is add your ingredients into your blender and blend it up until it’s smooth and creamy.
Are Blueberry Smoothies Vegan?
This blueberry smoothie without yogurt is vegan, but it will all depend on the type of milk and protein powder that you use. It’s easy to make this smoothie vegan, just use almond milk or your plant-based milk of choice and a plant-based protein powder – or omit it!
Is this Blueberry and Banana Smoothie Healthy?
Yes, this blueberry banana smoothie is healthy. It’s made with nutritious ingredients: antioxidant-rich blueberries, healthy-fat almond butter, protein powder (obviously full of protein) and a banana that adds not only sweetness but also potassium and iron.
I do want to mention that this healthy blueberry smoothie has 400 calories. For me, I like my smoothies to be a meal, so they need to be 400+ calories or I’ll be hungry in an hour. If this is more than what you’re looking for, take out the protein powder or reduce the almond butter a bit.
How to Store Healthy Blueberry Smoothie
This banana blueberry smoothie with milk makes two servings, so if you are going to save the extras, I recommend storing it in a blender bottle. Freeze it and then thaw, shake, and drink when you’re ready to have it. Blender bottles are great for meal prepping smoothies.
TIP: If you freeze your smoothie, don’t fill the bottle to the top, as it will expand!
Another option is to turn this popsicles for the kids. Simply pour into popsicle molds. (I also add a few blueberries and banana slices into the popsicles.)
Blueberry and Banana Smoothie Nutrition + Substitutes
There are a few ways to switch up this blueberry banana smoothie recipe:
- Milk – While we drink whole milk, I typically use unsweetened almond milk in smoothies. Use your favorite milk – dairy or not.
- Protein powder – I use Epic Protein Powder (plant-based with extras) and mixes in really well but you can feel free to use your favorite protein powder.
- Almond butter – Almond butter gives this blueberry almond milk smoothie a naturally sweet flavor, but you can use any nut butter.
- Banana – If you like healthy smoothie with blueberries to be thick and frosty, freeze your bananas before hand! Peel and store in a stasher bag or freezer container.
You can also turn this into a blueberry smoothie bowl by leaving out a little milk (to make it thicker) and serving in a bowl with toppings like granola, chopped nuts, chia seeds, and fresh fruit.
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes
If you like this easy blueberry banana smoothie, you might also enjoy some of my other smoothie recipes:
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie – Classic flavors in a nutritious and satisfying smoothie.
- Tropical Smoothie – This one has a secret veggie that doesn’t turn your smoothie green.
- Homemade Acai Bowl – You can make this one at home. Grab your packets, blend, and top!
- Smoothie Bombs – The best way to use up veggies about to go bad and add a nutritious boost to any smoothie.
- Daily Harvest Review – Want to have smoothies shipped straight to your door ready for blending? If you use my daily harvest promo code (RE-ERLEHL6), we’ll both get $25 off our orders!
Helpful Tools to Make Frozen Blueberry Smoothie:
- Blender – The blender I love and use! It’s an investment but lasts through heavy-use, unlike some of the cheaper blenders I’ve used.
- Blender Bottle – If you’d like to meal prep or save this blueberry protein smoothie, I highly recommend freezing it in these blender bottle. Then let it thaw in the fridge overnight (and maybe a bit at room temperature) and shake before serving.
HEALTHY blueberry banana smoothie made with just 5 simple ingredients. Ingredient swap ideas + how to make a blueberry smoothie that’s perfect for YOU!
- Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately.
- Nutrition facts are using unsweetened almond milk and a whey protein powder.
Keywords: blueberry banana smoothie, how to make a blueberry smoothie, healthy blueberry smoothie