Healthy Slow Cooker Turkey French Dips are a delicious and easy meal that take just 15 minutes to prep and less than 10 ingredients for the whole meal!
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 large shallot
- 3 lb. turkey split breast
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 4 slices (about 4 oz.) provolone cheese
- 4 hoagie buns
- 5 oz. salad greens
- salad dressing
- Prepare ingredients:
Slice onion in half moons and place in the bottom of 6 qt. slow cooker.
Slice shallots in half moons and add to the slow cooker.
- Place turkey over onions and shallots and pour chicken broth and Worcestershire around the turkey breast. Season turkey with salt and pepper and dot with butter.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours, until turkey is tender. Reserve about 2 cups of turkey meat for later in the week. (Pour over some of the liquid so the turkey doesn’t dry out.)
- When it’s getting close to dinner time, turn on the broiler.
- Layer buns with 1/2 slice of cheese, turkey, some of the sliced onion and shallot, and remaining slice of cheese and broil for 1-2 minutes, just until cheese has melted. (Watch carefully so it doesn’t burn!)
- Toss salad greens with dressing or let everyone dress their own. Serve sandwiches with au jus. You can ladle it straight from the slow cooker, but it will have little bits in it. Flavor-wise, it’s fine but if you want it to be more clarified, simply strain through a coffee filter.
- You’ll have about half of the turkey leftover.
- Get your kids involved! They can: add ingredients to the slow cooker, toss the salad with dressing.
- Nutrition facts are for one sandwich.
Keywords: turkey, turkey french dips, slow cooker turkey breast