This tortellini soup with sausage recipe is comfort food in a bowl! Made with basic ingredients + a simple technique, it’s a family favorite!
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 carrots
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. Italian sausage
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 28 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 20 oz. tortellini (refrigerated)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- grated Parmesan cheese
- red pepper flakes
- fresh basil
- Prep ingredients:
- Heat olive oil in a 6 qt. Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sausage to pan and brown for about 4-5 minutes, breaking up with a wooden spoon.
- Add onion, celery, and carrots to pot and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4-5 minutes, until veggies have softened.
- Push the sausage and veggies to the side and add garlic and tomato paste to the center of the pot. Let sizzle and cook for about a minute, or until fragrant and then stir into the veggies and sausage and cook another minute to caramelize flavors a bit.
- Sprinkle flour over sausage and veggies and stir to combine. Pour broth and crushed tomatoes into pot, mix well and bring to a boil. Lower heat, and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until thickened.
- Add tortellini to the soup mixture and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, until cooked through. Stir in heavy cream and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with grated Parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, and fresh basil ribbons.
- Serving size: 2 cups. Makes 12 cups total.
- Nutrition facts do not include toppings.
Keywords: tortellini soup with sausage, tortellini soup recipe, tortellini soup Italian sausage