The EASY steak egg and cheese bagel recipe you can make at home! Inspired by the McDonalds version, this hearty sandwich is always a favorite.
- 8 oz. ribeye steak
- sea salt and black pepper
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 4 eggs
- 8 slices cheddar cheese or white American, thinly sliced
- 4 bagels
- Butterfly an 8 oz. steak or buy a thin cut steak. (You want it about ½ inch thick.) Cut into 4 little steaks, about 4-5 inches wide. Season with salt, pepper, and sprinkle with Worcestershire sauce. Set aside.
- Cook onions. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter over medium heat in a nonstick skillet and when it foams, add onions. Stirring occasionally, cook for about 9-12 minutes, until onions are soft and caramelized.
- Meanwhile, cook steak. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter over medium high heat in a stainless steel skillet. When it foams, add steak and cook for about 1 minute per side, until cooked through. (These cook fast so be careful to not overcook.) Remove steaks from pan and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in nonstick pan over medium-low heat. When butter foams, carefully crack eggs into pan. Gently cook, breaking the yolk if desired, and folding up the edges of the egg white to form a similar shape to the bagel.
- Cook egg for about 3 minutes, the gently flip over, top with slice of cheese, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until egg is cooked to desired consistency.
- While eggs are cooking, toast bagels.
- Lightly butter bagels if desired, then top each slice of bagel with cheese. Add the slice of steak to the bottom bagel and top with fried onions, egg and cheese. Top with the top slice of bagel and serve immediately.