Slow Cooker Barbacoa (Chipotle copycat!) is an easy base for any Mexican meal! This flavorful meat takes just 10 minutes of prep time and slow cooking in the slow cooker.
- 3.5-4 lb. boneless chuck roast
- 1 tsp. salt and pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 Tbsp. chipotle peppers in adobo (see notes)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. dried cumin
- 1 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. dried cloves
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- Place chuck roast in a 6 qt. slow cooker.
- Season with salt and pepper and place bay leaves on top of meat.
- Stir together remaining ingredients in a small bowl and pour mixture over meat.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Shred and season with more salt if necessary.
- Chipotle peppers in adobo are found in small cans in the Mexican or Hispanic section. I recommend chopping up the whole can, using what you need and freezing the rest in a plastic bag. Freeze until you need more and then you can just break chunks off as needed.
Keywords: barbacoa, beef, slow cooker beef, chipotle