Learn how to make Minnesota hotdish with a taco twist! (Hint, it’s EASY!) The whole family will love this Mexican Tater Tot Casserole Recipe.
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 16 oz. ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 16 oz. frozen tater tots
- 8 oz. shredded cheese (Mexican or cheddar)
- toppings: sour cream, chopped cilantro, sliced green onion, sliced grape tomatoes, pickled jalapenos
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Dice onion and green pepper.
- Heat oil in large oven-proof skillet over medium high heat. Add onions and peppers to pan and cook for 5 minutes, until soft.
- Add turkey and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Brown for about 3-4 minutes and stir in taco seasoning until thoroughly mixed.*
- Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Top with 1/2 cup shredded cheese and arrange tater tots in a single layer on top of the cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. (Prep any toppings while it’s baking.)
- Broil on high for about 2-3 minutes, until tots are golden brown. Watch closely as this can go fast!
- Top with remaining cheese and broil for another 2-3 minutes, until cheese has melted. Watch this step closely, too!
- Get your kids involved! They can: sprinkle the cheese over hot dish, help prep toppings, top their hot dish.
- Taco seasoning: use whatever amount is recommended for 1 lb. of meat. No water needed!
- Nutrition facts do not include toppings.
Keywords: ground turkey, taco hotdish, tater tot casserole