Turkey patty melts are a delicious and easy weeknight meal, featuring ground turkey.
- 15 oz. bag frozen sweet potato fries
- 1 white onion
- 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 16 oz. ground turkey (NOT turkey breast)
- 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper
- 4 oz. swiss cheese
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- pickle spears
- ketchup and mustard
- Bake sweet potato fries according to package instructions.
- Prepare caramelized onions: thinly slice onions in half moon shapes. Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small pan over medium heat. When butter sizzles, add onions to pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or longer. If they start burning or turning black, turn down the heat.
- Meanwhile, prep burgers: divide meat into 4 patties. Lightly form into patty shape, making an indent with fingers in the middle of the burger. Salt and pepper both sides with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, more if needed. *Note, this is the amount for all 4 burgers!
- Cook burgers: heat remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in grill pan over medium heat. When it sizzles, add burgers and cook for about 4-5 minutes per side. (Or until an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.) When burgers are done cooking, top with slice of swiss cheese.
- Assemble burgers: toast bread and lightly butter. Top with burger and onions. Serve with sweet potato fries and pickle spears.
- Ground turkey: Use 93% lean, NOT ground turkey breast which is 99% lean.
- Get your kids involved! They can: butter toast, assemble burgers.
Keywords: ground turkey, turkey patty melt