I love pickles. Crunchy, cold, dill kosher spears are my favorite although I usually try to refrain from buying them as I can go through a jar in no time at all. And we can’t forget about Minnesota Sushi (ham & pickle roll-up) which is a favorite in our house and the midwest. 🙂 This salad resembles pickles. It is crunchy and flavorful, spicy and healthy, easily making it my new favorite “pickle.” I’ve made it three times in the last few weeks and I’ve got three cucumbers in the fridge currently waiting to soak in the vinegar tub.
This salad is great not only because of the spicy, fresh flavor but also because it can be made ahead of time which makes it perfect for busy nights or an easy salad to bring to parties. The recipe was adapted from a Thai Cookbook my Mom has after she made this salad and I had something similar earlier this summer. I was instantly smitten.
I tried made it with agave instead of the sugar and it was just as delicious, so if you’re into it, make the swap!
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1 english cucumber (or 3 small cucumbers)
- 2 small hot chiles (1 if you don’t like spice)
- 3 Tbsp minced onion
- Combine water, sugar and vinegar in small pan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Pour mixture over cucumbers, chiles and onion.
- Stir to combine and chill overnight.
- Serving Size: 4 servings