So not Christmas cookies. Or Christmas brunch ideas or even really Christmas-related. Which given that we’re only a few days out from Christmas, may not make sense.
But it’s time to start thinking about New Year’s Eve. I’m not trying to rush Christmas, or anything crazy like that. But menus need to be planned, food needs to be considered and drinks, drinks definitely deserve a little thought.
So what are you doing? I’m flying back to LA on New Year’s Eve and to be perfectly honest, I’m not feeling very confident that I’ll be able to stay up until midnight. Last year we had friends over for dinner and we drank fancy champagne – it was perfect! This year? Maybe a nice dinner at home.
But we’re getting off-track. These slow-cooked pork sandwiches? Perfect for casual New Year’s Eve get-togethers or New Year’s Day football and lounging.
I absolutely love slow-cooked pork. It’s so versatile, so comforting and so tasty. Usually I keep it ridiculously simple and season it with some garlic, salt and pepper before letting the slow-cooker do it’s magic.
Here, pork is seasoned with a flavorful rub and then slow cooks away, until it shreds with the slightest touch. The rub is easy and SO worth the few minutes it takes to pull-together.
So the pork cooks away and your work is essentially done. There are a few things to prep, but really, it’s nothing.
Serve the pork sandwiches on baguettes or soft buns with:
- a variety of mustards (hot, yellow, spicy, etc.)
- pickles (I went with sweet, but dill would also be great)
- freshly chopped parsley (always a good idea)
- cooking juice/broth
The mustard and pickles cut through the succulent pork in a superb way. You definitely don’t want to skip them!
Oh, and serve with plenty of napkins – it’s juicy!Print
- Mix together orange zest, rosemary, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes and salt & pepper.
- Cut 6 small slits into pork and fill with garlic cloves.
- Rub pork with spice mixture.
- Pour orange juice around the pork.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 5-6 hours.
- Season with salt & pepper if necessary.
- Serve pork sandwiches with various mustards, chopped parsley and pickle chips.
Nutrition info is for 8 sandwiches.
- Calories: 561
- Sugar: 3 grams
- Fat: 30 grams
- Carbohydrates: 35 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 37 grams