Right now in life, I have two major obsessions.
One is Demi, evidenced by the hours in each day I spend staring at her (or smiling, singing or holding toys in her face…). Also evidenced by the sheer number of pictures I have taken of her. Yesterday I had to delete all of my music (so long, workouts!) to make room on my phone for more pictures. Because…priorities.
And my other obsession? Quinoa salads and pasta salads.
I can’t get enough of them. They are the perfect summer meal: easy, served cool and just light enough. In four simple steps, a pasta (or quinoa) salad is ready to eat.
- Cook quinoa or pasta.
- Prepare dressing.
- Prep other ingredients: vegetables, cheese, nuts, etc.
- Toss everything together.
Take the salads to a cookout. Take them on a picnic. Or devour them at home.
Today’s simple orzo salad is featuring a cheese that I use on a very regular basis: FETA!
I always have feta in the fridge, and it’s rare that a salad is eaten without it. I partnered with Nikos to create this salad and I think you’ll love it!
OK. Orzo is tossed with green onions (my favorite in salads), pine nuts, feta (duh) and a classic vinaigrette made with red wine vinegar. Simple, easy, tasty. Enjoy!
And if you’d like to win a trip to Hawaii (uhhhh, yes!), Nikos is sending one lucky winner and their guest on a trip to Hawaii to experience the Hawaii Food & Wine Festival. Enter here. (And then take me if you win. Please.)
- 16 oz orzo
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- salt & pepper
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced (about 1 1/2 cups sliced)
- 6 oz feta crumbles
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- Prepare orzo as directed.
- While orzo cooks, whisk together oil, vinegar, mustard and season with salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Drain orzo and add to bowl with dressing. Toss until coated and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- When orzo is at room temperature, add onions, feta and pine nuts to pasta and toss until combined.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour.
- To serve, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
- Serving Size: 8 servings
- Calories: 434
- Sugar: 2 grams
- Fat: 24 grams
- Carbohydrates: 44 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 12 grams
PS. Want more feta?