In the short three weeks that Crooked Pint Ale House was open and we were still in Minneapolis, I managed to order the Rainbow Chopped Salad three times. It was clearly super tasty and good enough to resist ordering their delicious burgers! That should say a lot for a salad. And for me. 😉
So I had plans to recreate it right away and as we drove through South Dakota and Wyoming, I would glance at that salad on my list – just anxious to get back into the kitchen and eat something full of vegetables.
A few weeks later, and the Taster and I are sitting at our table with this beautiful salad (on chilled plates thank you!) in front of us.
And it was perfect.
The nutrition stats are pretty good too, although it is a tad low on protein for me. Next time we’ll try it with some grilled chicken to really make it a full meal.
If you’ve been looking for a new salad, or something healthy to bring to Thanksgiving (the Taster thought it would be perfect on turkey day), go make this. You might even choose it over stuffing – I know I would.Print
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce, thinly sliced
- 2 cups spinach, thinly sliced
- 1/3 of small red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 medium apple
- 2 oz blue cheese
- 2 oz roasted pecans
- Make dressing. Whisk together shallots, mustard, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Toss lettuce, spinach, cabbage and apple with dressing until coated.
- Divide salad on two plates and top with blue cheese and pecans.
- Serving Size: 2 large servings