These nutritious and healthy quinoa cakes are perfect for small hands (and big ones!) and full of quinoa, egg, cheese, and veggies.
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 2 cups chicken or veggie broth
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. oil for frying
- Prepare quinoa as directed, with broth for extra flavor. Let cool. (Can be made ahead of time.)
- In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients except for oil. Refrigerate until ready to cook.
- In a medium pan over medium high heat, add 1 Tablespoon of oil to pan.
- Scoop out 1/4 cup of quinoa mixture into hand and carefully place into pan. Add a few more cakes to pan, but don’t overcrowd.
- Cook for about 3 minutes, then carefully flip over with flipper. Mixture is fragile, but will stay together!
- Cook for another 3 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through. Transfer to plate lined with paper towel.
- Repeat with remaining mixture, adding oil to pan when needed.
- Mixture is fragile, handle carefully.
- These freeze great, so once they have cooled, store in a freezer bag and microwave for 1-2 minutes, or until hot, when you are ready to eat. They won’t be as crispy, but still taste great.
Keywords: quinoa cakes, quinoa, healthy quinoa recipe