This one-pot mexican quinoa recipe comes together in 30 minutes, is packed with vegetarian protein and is full of the mexican flavors we all adore!
I have a feeling that you guys are going to looooooove this dinner. We certainly do!
It’s healthy, it’s satisfying and it comes together in one pan! I don’t know about you, but less to clean is always ideal around here, because between the toys, the dirt, the clutter, lately it feels like cleaning is a full time job. Speaking of clutter, did you see this great article How getting rid of “stuff” saved my motherhood? It stresses the importance of minimalism – especially for mothers. It’s a good one and as someone who lives in a small apartment, I’m alllllll about less stuff.
So less time cooking, less time cleaning … it can only be a good thing. In this One-Pot Mexican Quinoa recipe, the quinoa is cooked with salsa and chicken (or veggie) broth and then peppers, corn and black beans are added to the mix to simmer together until the quinoa is cooked. A quick stir of shredded cheese brings it all together.
Then the fun part: toppings! I loved it with sour cream, green onions, cilantro and a few dashes of hot sauce and Demi wanted all of the sour cream. She’s loves her dairy, just like us! Avocado or diced red onions would also be tasty and colorful additions.
This meal is packed with vegetarian protein from the combo of beans and super-seed quinoa!
It should come as no surprise that the Nutritionist loves quinoa. And given that some of my most popular blog posts (Quinoa & Arugula Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette; Black Bean Quinoa Salad) have been recipes starring quinoa, you guys love it too! So I went ahead and bought a 4.5 pound bag of quinoa from Costco and have been working on quinoa recipes – more to come soon!
Quinoa is a darling in the health and nutrition world and for good reason:
- it’s a complete protein
- high in protein and fiber
- full of vitamins and minerals
Basically, it should be a regular on your plate.
Pair this hearty meal with a side salad and dinner is done. It also makes a great make-ahead lunch and could even be turned into breakfast too – just top with a fried egg!
I love hearing from you guys when you make recipes you’ve found here so let me know what you think, or tag me on social media (@anutritionisteats or #anutritionisteats) so I can see your creations!Print
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1.5 cups quinoa (uncooked)
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 12 oz jar thin salsa (1.5 cups)
- 1.5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1–15.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- toppings: sour cream, avocado, cilantro, green onion
- Heat oil in large skillet.
- Add onion and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in quinoa, and let toast for about 1 minute.
- Add pepper, corn, salsa, broth and beans to skillet. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover.
- Cook for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until quinoa is cooked through.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with desired toppings.
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups
- Calories: 479
- Sugar: 6 grams
- Sodium: 850 mg
- Fat: 15 grams
- Carbohydrates: 77 grams
- Fiber: 10 grams
- Protein: 21 grams
- Cholesterol: 19 mg