Learn how make fish cakes! This tilapia fish cakes recipe takes just 15 minutes to prep and is a great way to switch up your seafood dinner.
For Fish Cakes:
- 1 pound tilapia fillets, cooked
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 green onions sliced, about 1/3 cup
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried dill, divided
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. capers
- Combine tilapia, eggs, breadcrumbs, green onions, 1/2 teaspoon of dried dill, and sea salt in a medium bowl. Gently mix, flaking fish as you stir until combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together remaining 1 teaspoon dill, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and capers. Set aside for serving.
- Fry fish cakes. Heat a thin layer of oil in a large nonstick skillet.
- Scoop 1/4 cup of fish mixture and gently pat into a disc shape. Fry for about 2-3 minutes, until golden brown, flip over, lightly flatten fish cake with back of spatula, and cook another 2-3 minutes on the other side . Set aside and repeat until mixture is gone.
- Prep Tip: Bake the tilapia ahead of time. Bake it for 400°F for about 15-20 minutes (will depend on filet size), or until it flakes easily.
- Variation Tip: Any white, flaky fish (cod, trout, bass, snapper, etc.) will all work in this recipe.
- Makes about 12 fish cakes.
- Nutrition facts are calculated with 2 tablespoons oil, but the amount you use may vary.
Keywords: how to make fish cakes, tilapia fish cakes, fish cakes recipe