Learn how to make the best breakfast avocado toast! My easy avocado toast has summer flavors (pesto! arugula!) and makes for a healthy and satisfying meal that’s packed with healthy fats, fresh produce, and tons of flavor. Try this healthy avocado toast recipe for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or a light dinner! You’re going to love it any time of the day.
Make your breakfast avocado toast with fried egg – or not! It’s totally up to you.
What Is Avocado Toast?
Avocado toast is the BEST INVENTION EVER!!!! Let me break it down for you.
The best part of all? It’s pretty simple to make this healthy avocado toast recipe!
Healthy Avocado Toast Ingredients
Delicious avocado toast recipes can be super simple or topped with a lot…it’s totally up to you. What’s important in simple recipes is high-quality ingredients and that’s certainly the truth here. Here are the basics:
- Bread – Artisan is #1, but sprouted, whole wheat, or whatever you regularly use is great.
- Avocados – Perfectly ripe, please.
- Flaky Salt – This one’s a must, and will seriously upgrade your breakfast avocado toast.
- Extras – Eggs, olive oil, sesame oil, mayo, cheese, veggies, hot sauce, pickled veggies, etc. (More on the avocado toast topping ideas below)
How to Make Avocado Toast
Ok, are we ready for this? Because the a healthy avocado toast recipe is also incredibly easy:
- Toast bread. Grilling is ideal, but toasting works for normal, everyday situations.
- Mash avocado onto toast. Sliced avocado looks pretty, but in terms of actually eating it? Mashed all the way!
- Extras. Now it’s time to add a sprinkle of flaky salt and any extras.
Is Avocado Toast Healthy?
Ugh. If you’ve been here a while, you know I detest this question! (But it still comes up a lot and so I want to address it.)
It’s my philosophy that food is food. It’s energy, it’s not good or bad.
Is this breakfast avocado toast nutritious? YES! We’ve got layers of bread, avocado, arugula, and pesto! Carbs, fat, veggies!
How Many Calories in Avocado Toast?
Avocado toast calories is going to vary based on bread, avocado size, how much oil you use, and the pesto that you use.
I’ve estimated the calories in this breakfast avocado toast below, but remember, it’s just an estimate!
Another reminder, I aim for about 500 calories per meal to keep me satisfied until the next meal, so this is right where I would want it to be.
Best Bread for Avocado Toast
Simple avocado toast can be made even better by using a high-quality bread like sourdough or a freshly-baked artisan bread.
With that said, if you’re looking to add in MORE nutrition to this healthy avocado toast recipe, use a sprouted bread for maximum nutrition, or a 100% whole grain bread.
What to Put On Avocado Toast (Avocado Toast Ideas)
There are so many options when it comes to topping your avocado toast. You can start with an easy avocado toast that’s very basic – just toast, avocado, and salt – maybe a drizzle of oil, or you can go fancy and make your avocado toast recipe with eggs, vegetables, seeds, cheeses, and more. Here are some of my easy avocado toast staples:
- Asian – Toasted sesame oil, sliced cucumbers, and togarashi or furikake
- Veggie – Olive oil, matchstick radishes, cucumbers, and sliced green onions
- Everything Bagel – Sliced cucumbers and everything bagel seasoning
More Brunch Recipes
If you like this breakfast avocado toast recipe, you might like some of these other breakfast/brunch recipes:
- Bagel Bar Brunch Platter – This impressive spread is perfect for entertaining or special mornings when grazing feels right.
- Trader Joe’s Breakfast Board – Want a breakfast that impresses? Fill a board with breakfast faves. It’s a special (but easy) breakfast or brunch.
- Full English Breakfast – This full brunch comes together in just 20 minutes.
- Breakfast Egg Bake with Ham – It’s a breakfast sandwich in breakfast casserole form!
Helpful Tools for Healthy Avocado Toast Recipe
- Pastry Brush – This tool is a must for grilling bread, I’m not sure why I waited so long to get one! (And it’s less than $10)
- Flaky Sea Salt – Another must for breakfast avocado toast recipes, this flaky salt will elevate just about anything. Use it as a finishing salt. SO worth the money! Once you try it, you’ll never go without.
HEALTHY avocado toast recipe takes just 5 min! My summer breakfast avocado toast has layers of pesto, wilted arugula, and avocado – ALL the green goodness!
- 1 large slice bread (2 smaller)
- 1 handful arugula
- 1/2 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp. prepared pesto
- drizzle of olive oil
- flaky sea salt
- freshly cracked pepper
- 1 fried or poached egg (optional)
- Heat nonstick pan over medium low heat. Fry egg in butter or oil according to preference if making and lightly wilt arugula (just for a 30 seconds or so, until just wilted).
- Toast or grill bread. Spread bread with pesto and top with arugula and sliced avocado.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with flaky sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- For the best summer flavor, brush bread with olive oil with a pastry brush and grill for 3-4 minutes per side over medium-high direct heat until lightly charred.
- Nutrition facts don’t include optional egg.
Keywords: breakfast avocado toast, healthy avocado toast recipe, easy avocado toast