Buffalo chicken sandwiches are topped with an easy celery and blue cheese slaw – it’s the perfect accompaniment!
- 3 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken breast
- salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce (like Frank’s)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 celery heart or bunch
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. honey
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles (about 4 oz.)
- 4 kaiser rolls (or bun of choice!)
- buffalo sauce
- Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker.
- Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Pour over buffalo sauce and water and turn over chicken so that it’s covered with sauce.
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Shred chicken and stir into sauce.
- Wash and trim celery. Thinly slice, saving the leafy tops.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Toss dressing with celery and blue cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Layer meat onto buns and drizzle with extra buffalo sauce if desired.
- Serve slaw on the side or right on top!
- Reserve about 2 1/2 cups of cooked chicken for the sweet potato meal later in the week.
- I kept the sauce on the light side so that the chicken isn’t too spicy. You can add more buffalo sauce as desired.
- To make in the Instant Pot: add chicken to instant pot and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add 1/2 cup buffalo sauce (omitting the water) and turn chicken over in sauce so it’s covered and lock on the lid. Cook on poultry mode or 10 minutes High Pressure. When the cooking time is done, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes and then quick-release the remaining pressure. Shred chicken.
Keywords: slow cooker chicken, buffalo chicken, sandwich