Healthy slow cooker buffalo chicken (or instant pot) recipe takes two minutes to prep – then we’re going to maximize your time in the kitchen and turn it into two different meals!
Click here to pin healthy slow cooker buffalo chicken for later.
Are you familiar with the “cook once, eat twice” method of cooking? Let me explain. We make a big batch of a meal (perhaps on a slow Sunday afternoon!) and eat the initial meal. Then we turn it into a completely different meal later in the week. The purpose is to maximize our time in the kitchen so that in the time it takes one meal, we’ve got one-and-a-half meals ready to go. This healthy slow cooker buffalo chicken was my initial cook once, eat twice meal. And it was all I needed to be hooked!
Now it’s the centerpiece of my easy and healthy weekly meal plan service. I want my families to eat better but spend less time in the kitchen and spend less time planning and researching what to eat! How you spend the extra time is up to you…you can either a) spend it with your family or b) spend it with wine and Bravo (I won’t judge!).
If you are sick of staring at the fridge every night wondering what to make for dinner? Annoyed that you have to spend hours scouring pinterest and cookbooks for recipes? Stressed about feeding your family nutritious food, but want them to actually eat it? Let me help you!
The whole purpose of my healthy weekly meal plans is this:
Let’s get to this slow cooker buffalo chicken! First we make the easiest buffalo chicken in the slow cooker or instant pot (it seriously takes 2 minutes to prep) and then we turn it into two different easy and healthy dinners. Sound like a plan?
If the cook once, eat twice method sounds smart to you, don’t miss my Slow Cooker Honey Pork meals!
Healthy Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches:
The first meal is buffalo chicken sandwiches: easy, satisfying, crowd-pleasing. Good on its own but great topped with a celery and blue cheese slaw that’s tangy and crunchy. I think you’ll love it, it’s the perfect combination of flavors and textures. Serve the slaw on the side or right on top of the sandwich.
Buffalo chicken sandwiches are topped with an easy celery and blue cheese slaw – it’s the perfect accompaniment!
- 3 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken breast
- salt, pepper, garlic powder
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce (like Frank’s)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 celery heart or bunch
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. honey
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles (about 4 oz.)
- 4 kaiser rolls (or bun of choice!)
- buffalo sauce
- Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker.
- Season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Pour over buffalo sauce and water and turn over chicken so that it’s covered with sauce.
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Shred chicken and stir into sauce.
- Wash and trim celery. Thinly slice, saving the leafy tops.
- Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper.
- Toss dressing with celery and blue cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Layer meat onto buns and drizzle with extra buffalo sauce if desired.
- Serve slaw on the side or right on top!
- Reserve about 2 1/2 cups of cooked chicken for the sweet potato meal later in the week.
- I kept the sauce on the light side so that the chicken isn’t too spicy. You can add more buffalo sauce as desired.
- To make in the Instant Pot: add chicken to instant pot and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add 1/2 cup buffalo sauce (omitting the water) and turn chicken over in sauce so it’s covered and lock on the lid. Cook on poultry mode or 10 minutes High Pressure. When the cooking time is done, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes and then quick-release the remaining pressure. Shred chicken.
Keywords: slow cooker chicken, buffalo chicken, sandwich
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes:
Next up is something a little different: baked sweet potatoes are topped with buffalo chicken, a blue cheese sour cream and chopped green onions. It’s sweet, spicy, and creamy. Let everyone in the family build their own and add toppings as they please. My meal plan group was a little skeptical of this meal, but it’s been a big hit! If you need a meal that comes together in 5 minutes (we all have those nights!), bake the sweet potatoes ahead of time and mix up the blue cheese yogurt. When you’re ready for dinner, all you need to do is heat up the sweet potatoes and chicken and top with yogurt sauce, green onions, and extra buffalo sauce if you like.
Spicy, sweet, creamy: the flavors are all here!
- 2 1/2 cups buffalo chicken meat (recipe above)
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 12 oz.)
- 1 cup sour cream or full-fat greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles (about 4 oz.)
- 3 green onions
- extra buffalo sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub sweet potatoes and prick all over with a fork.
- Microwave for 5 minutes. Carefully remove and rub with olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until soft.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, stir together sour cream and blue cheese. Season with pepper.
- Thinly slice green onions.
- Split potatoes in half, lightly smash and layer on chicken, extra buffalo sauce if desired, blue cheese dressing, and green onions.