I’ve got a fun and delicious recipe mash-up for you today! We’re taking a classic Hawaiian pizza recipe and combining it with a calzone recipe for a Hawaiian pizza calzone. YES, I went there and you should too. This easy calzone recipe comes together with simple ingredients and minimal prep, making it doable for weeknight dinners.
Pizza nights are a serious endeavor at our house (every Sunday!) and while I think making your own dough is preferable in most situations, buying your own is an easy shortcut that I am also not ashamed to utilize. So do what feels best.
Estimated reading time: 7 minutes
Table of Contents
- What You’ll Love About Hawaiian Pizza Calzones
- Hawaiian Pizza Recipe Ingredients
- How to Make Calzones
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Storage Instructions
- How to Serve Calzones to the Whole Family
- What to Serve with Calzones
- More Easy Dinner Recipes
- It’s 5pm. Are you still wondering what’s for dinner?
This Hawaiian pizza recipe is sponsored by Jones Dairy Farm. I’m excited to partner with them more in 2022, especially because we use their products every single week. (If you’ve ever seen my Costco hauls, you’ve seen me recommend their sausages in BULK!)
This recipe features Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Hickory Smoked Canadian Bacon. This is the most popular Canadian bacon in the country and it’s smoked with real hickory chips for rich flavor. It’s also Certified Gluten-Free and allergen friendly, which is especially helpful for families that need to pay close attention to ingredients and allergens.
What You’ll Love About Hawaiian Pizza Calzones
- Sweet and savory flavors
- Easy meal with minimal prep
- Satisfying family-friendly meal
- Made with just 7 basic ingredients
- Just 10 minutes prep time
- Easily customizable so everyone is happy
Hawaiian Pizza Recipe Ingredients
You’ll need just 7 basic ingredients for this calzone:
- Pizza dough – Buy prepared pizza dough to make it easy, or make your own – it’s up to you.
- Jones Dairy Farm Canadian Bacon – It’s fully cooked and loaded with smoky flavor.
- Pineapple – Buy canned tidbits to make it easy, or you can use fresh. I roughly chopped the tidbits to make them a little smaller.
- Mozzarella cheese – Use pre-shredded mozzarella cheese to help
- Olive oil – Use high quality olive oil for best flavor.
- Parmesan cheese – Use grated parmesan cheese. You can also leave it off if you prefer.
- Marinara sauce – Use your favorite marinara sauce
- Optional toppings – Diced jalapeno or green pepper, red onion,
How to Make Calzones
Let’s get to this easy recipe for calzones!
- Prep dough. Divide dough into 8 sections and roll into circles.
TIP: If your dough is not quite 2 pounds, adjust size and toppings as needed. You can make 6 calzones if you have closer to 24 oz. of dough.
- Assemble calzones. Sprinkle desired toppings over one half of each dough circle. I recommend a layer of cheese, toppings, and another layer of cheese.
- Form calzones. Fold dough over and seal edges by crimping with your hands or using the tines of a fork. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake calzones. Cut 2-3 slits in each calzone, brush with olive oil, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake until golden brown.
- Serve. Serve calzone recipes with a side of marinara sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s on a Hawaiian pizza?
Classic Hawaiian pizzas are topped with pizza sauce, cheese, ham, pineapple, and cheese. Some add extras like onion and peppers, but it’s really all about the ham and pineapple combination.
Where was Hawaiian pizza invented?
The Hawaiian pizza was not invented by Italians or Hawaiians! The pizza concept was invented in Canada in the 1960’s by Sam Panopoulos (he’s a Greek-born Canadian) in his restaurant in Ontario, Canada called the Satellite Restaurant.
People weren’t initially fond of it, but eventually it grew in popularity and spread around the world. Now it seems that people either love – or hate – Hawaiian pizzas.
Store calzones in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
How to reheat
Reheat in a 375 degree F oven or air fryer until heated throughout.
Can you freeze calzones?
Yes, calzones freeze really well. Wrap them in plastic wrap or foil and store in an airtight container (stasher bags work well) for 2-3 months. Bake right from frozen for 20-25 minutes, until hot.
How to Serve Calzones to the Whole Family
I get it, feeding kids can be tough! But following the Division of Responsibility and knowing your job and your child’s job makes it SO much more enjoyable. You’ll be able to feed your kids any meal, which will help ensure that they are eating a variety of nutritious foods – with plenty of play food sprinkled in. 😉
These are the perfect meal to get your kids to help with. Simply let them add their desired toppings so they can make their own perfect calzone.
If they choose to only put cheese in there – so be it!
What to Serve with Calzones
Serve this recipe for calzone pizza with a simple side salad:
More Easy Dinner Recipes
If you like this homemade calzone recipe, you might also like some of these other easy dinner recipes:
It’s 5pm. Are you still wondering what’s for dinner?
Menu Plans by My Everyday Table can help you out.
The plan addresses three major issues when it comes to weeknight dinners: having a plan, time, and one family meal.
You’ll save time, save money, waste less food, and feel calm when 5pm hits because your dinner is already planned.
Hawaiian pizza meets calzones for a fun twist on the classic recipes. Just 10 minutes to prep and freezer friendly.
- 2 lbs. prepared pizza dough
- 6 oz. Jones Dairy Farm Canadian Bacon, diced
- 8 oz. pineapple tidbits
- 12 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
- olive oil
- grated parmesan cheese
- marinara sauce for serving
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Divide dough into 8 sections and roll into a circle. The dough should be about ¼ inch thick.
- Sprinkle toppings over half of the dough piece.
- Fold over dough and seal edges closed with your fingers or with the back of a fork. Transfer to the baking sheet and cut 2-3 small slices in the top of each calzone to allow for venting.
- Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.
Keywords: Hawaiian pizza recipe, calzone recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. They do not add any charge to you, but I will make a very small commission from them. I only link to products I use and recommend. Thank you for your support!