Fajita craving? You’ve got to try this grilled turkey tenderloin recipe! Fajitas were one of my favorite meals growing up, and while my mom usually made them with chicken, this version of turkey fajitas is perfection! The turkey tenderloin fajitas are juicy and tender and packed with flavor.
I love to serve my fajitas with shredded lettuce, (freshly) shredded sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, and salsa. Crunchy, creamy, juicy, and totally classic.
I’m so excited to partner with the National Turkey Federation to bring you this grilled turkey tenderloin fajitas recipe. (sponsored) Turkey is a staple for our weeknight dinners and for so many reasons. It’s packed with lean protein, it’s satisfying, it’s easy to cook with, and everyone loves it! Turkey tenderloin is fantastic on the grill and is a tender and juicy lean cut. Visit ServeTurkey.org for more turkey recipes.
What is a Turkey Tenderloin?
If you have never had turkey tenderloin, you’re in for a treat! It was a new cut for me, but I’ll be cooking with it a lot from now on! Turkey tenderloins look like a chicken breast (but bigger) but they are actually a strip of white meat from under the breast.
It’s tender and perfect for grilling!
How to Make Turkey Fajitas
These turkey fajitas are easy and delicious, I know you and your family will love them! Here’s how to cook turkey tenderloin on the grill and turn it into turkey fajitas:
- Prep ingredients. Slice peppers and onions.
- Make turkey fajitas marinade. In a medium bowl, mix together the minced garlic, lime juice, olive oil, dried oregano, and sea salt. Add the turkey tenderloin to the bowl and turn over turkey so that it’s all coated in the marinade. This turkey tenderloin marinade is a made from just 5 easy ingredients, but it gives the turkey tenderloin amazing flavor.
- Grill turkey tenderloin and turkey fajita veggies. (More on cooking turkey tenderloin on the grill below.)
- Prep fajita sides and toppings while the turkey tenderloin is grilling.
How to Grill Turkey Tenderloin
This grilled turkey tenderloin recipe is easy!
Take your marinating turkey tenderloin out of the fridge while you pre-heat your grill over medium-high heat.
When the grill is hot, it’s time to grill your turkey tenderloin. Put the tenderloin over direct heat and set the timer for 7 minutes.
Don’t touch it! After 7 minutes, flip the tenderloin and cook for another 7-14 minutes, depending on tenderloin size.
How Long to Grill a Turkey Tenderloin
The grilling time for turkey tenderloin will varay a bit depending on tenderloin size, but I like to start with 7 minutes on the first side, flip over, and start checking time after 7 minutes on the second side.
A 3/4 pound tenderloin will take about 14-15 minutes total, but a 1 pound tenderloin can take 10+ minutes on the second side.
The most important thing is that the turkey tenderloin temp should reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. This ensures that it is cooked to a safe cooking temperature, but will still be tender and juicy.
I do not cook meat without a cooking thermometer. It’s the best way to know exactly when your meat is cooked perfectly!
How to Store Turkey Fajitas Recipe
This grilled turkey tenderloin recipe should be stored in the refrigerator separate from toppings.
When ready to reheat, simply heat the grilled turkey tenderloin until warm in the microwave or a hot skillet and serve with toppings. (Or as a turkey fajita bowl. I made this lunch many, many times!)
Toppings for Turkey Fajitas
There are so many options for turkey fajita toppings:
- Shredded lettuce (a must for crunch!)
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Diced tomatoes
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce
- Pickled jalapenos
- Guacamole or sliced avocado
More Mexican(ish) Recipes:
- Easy Chicken Taco Soup – Classic taco flavors meet soup! Obviously made with my fave secret soup ingredient.
- Mexican Ground Beef Casserole – This is a hearty casserole, but it’s great all year long.
- Black Bean Quinoa Salad – Light and filling, this healthy salad is great for parties or meal prep lunches.
- Mexican Tater Tot Casserole – A twist on the classic, you know this one is a family favorite!
- Street Corn Crostini – A recipe that I definitely need to make more often. SO good!
EASY turkey fajitas on the grill! My FAMILY-APPROVED grilled turkey tenderloin recipe is marinated, grilled, and stuffed into tortillas with toppings. FAVE!
- 3 bell peppers (green, red and orange), thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup lime juice (about 1–2 limes)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 lb turkey tenderloin
- 2 15-oz. cans refried beans
- 16 oz. bag of frozen fire roasted corn
- 12 flour tortillas
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 cup salsa
- hot sauce (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together garlic, lime juice, olive oil, oregano, and salt. Add turkey to bowl and turn over to coat both sides of turkey with marinade. Marinate for 30 minutes, or up to 12 hours.
- Take turkey tenderloin out of the fridge and preheat grill to medium-high heat. (About 400 degrees F.)
- Grill turkey for 7-8 minutes, flip over and grill for another 7-10 minutes, or until the turkey reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Grill veggies at the same time as turkey, for about 12-13 minutes, or until charred. Stir after you flip the turkey.
- Let turkey rest for 10 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain.
- Meanwhile, prep turkey fajita toppings and sides. Heat refried beans in a small sauce pan until hot. Heat corn in a bowl in the microwave until hot. Slice lettuce and shred cheddar cheese.
- Microwave tortillas until hot, or heat over gas stove until lightly charred.
- Serve sliced turkey in tortillas with toppings as desired and beans and corn on the side.
- If the turkey is getting dark, turn down heat to a medium, slightly high instead of medium high the entire time.
- Marinate turkey for at least 30 min, up to 12 hours.
Keywords: grilled turkey tenderloin recipe, turkey fajitas