One of my favorite summer salads/coleslaws is Gertrude Houlihan’s Blue Cheese Coleslaw. It’s an old recipe from the newspaper that my mother’s been making for years and now, it’s a staple in our summer meals. I’ve shared the recipe on the blog a long time ago, but it’s so good that it deserves the spotlight. (I’d like to think my photography has improved a bit too since then!)
If you aren’t familiar with napa cabbage, it is kind of a cross between regular, green cabbage and lettuce and I just love the texture. It is more lettuce than cabbage, but holds up to dressing well, just like cabbage.
This is the perfect coleslaw for summer cookouts or simply as a side to a grilled dinner.
I’m not sure who Gertrude Houlihan is, but I’m sure glad I’ve got her coleslaw recipe.Print
- 1 medium head of napa cabbage, thinly sliced
- 4 oz blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 white onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp celery seed
- salt & pepper
- Layer cabbage and blue cheese. Chill.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients until emulsified.
- Toss dressing with cabbage and serve.