This Farro & Broccolini Salad recipe is a filling grain salad with broccolini, feta and a flavorful lemon dressing.
It’s officially summer.
We can pull out the shorts. We can pull out the dresses. If you’re a parent of a fair-skinned, red-headed child like me, you can pull out the full-body 50 SPF rash guards (poor thing will be wearing those for life).
And it’s time to pull out every salad recipe you’ve got. It’s the season for salads. For fresh-tasting meals and for lightened up EVERYTHING.
Even though I live in LA, and many could argue we have summer-like weather all-year-round, I’ve come to realize that summer is more than just a temperature above 75 degrees. It’s a feeling. It’s a vibe. It’s a WAY of life. Right?
But I’m not here to talk about summer vibes. (And not only because I’m too old to use the term ‘vibes.’) I’m here to talk about summer food – specifically, summer salads.
This one features farro (a chewy whole grain), lightly sautéed broccolini, a little cheese, and a flavorful vinaigrette.
It’s easy to throw together, and take to a picnic. Or to the beach. Or if you want to be boring like me, you can just take it to the office.
How easy? Cook farro. Sauté broccolini (just for a few minutes!). Chop green onions. Crumble feta. Whisk vinaigrette. DONE! Told you.
It’s also easy to make this your own, which is one of the reasons I love grain salads so much. Swap quinoa for the farro, throw in whatever vegetables you have in the crisper or look good at the market, add your favorite hard cheese – it’s hard to go wrong with salads like this.
Serve it as a side dish to grilled chicken or fish, or if you’re having it for lunch and need a bit more to make it feel like a meal – add some chopped almonds or serve with some turkey or tofu on the side.
- 8 oz farro (I used quick cooking farro, the package was 8.8 oz)
- 8 oz broccolini, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- juice and zest from one lemon (about 2 Tbsp juice)
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. dijon mustard
- salt & pepper
- Cook farro according to package instructions.
- While the farro is cooking, saute broccolini in 1 Tbsp olive oil for 2-3 minutes, just to soften.
- Mix together vinaigrette: lemon juice, zest, 1/2 cup olive oil, mustard and salt & pepper. (I put mine in a jar and shake until emulsified.)
- Combine farro, broccolini, feta, green onions and dressing and toss to combine.
- Salt & pepper to taste.
If making this ahead of time, reserve some dressing to drizzle on right before serving.
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups
- Calories: 530
- Sugar: 4 grams
- Fat: 35 grams
- Saturated Fat: 7 grams
- Carbohydrates: 49 grams
- Fiber: 11 grams
- Protein: 12 grams
- Cholesterol: 17 mg