I’ve been living in Minnesota for almost two years now that I’m cooking for a family. And we are HERE. FOR. CASSEROLES. Specifically, this Mexican ground beef casserole. My ground beef rice casserole has all of the tasty taco flavors your family loves, baked into a satisfying and easy casserole that’s topped with veggies and melty cheese. But this isn’t your mama’s classic ground beef and rice casserole…we’re using FRESH flavors, VEGETABLES, and plenty of satisfying ingredients.
Oh, and did I mention that this Mexican hamburger casserole takes just 10 minutes to prep? It’s seriously weeknight meal perfection in casserole form.
What Can I Make with Ground Beef and Rice?
So this is a really common question…and I have an easy weeknight dinner answer! Easy ground beef casseroles. Specifically, this easy Mexican ground beef casserole.
Casseroles are a no-fuss way to make a satisfying weeknight meal that the whole family will love.
How To Make Mexican Ground Beef Casserole
This Mexican casserole with ground beef and rice couldn’t be easier! It takes just 10 minutes to prep the veggies, brown the ground beef, and layer together the Mexican beef casserole layers together, and bake! I’ll break it down:
- Prep the ingredients. Make the rice; dice the onion and zucchini.
- Brown the ground beef. Brown the ground beef and stir in the taco seasoning. Remove from heat and stir in zucchini, rotel, and corn.
- Layer the Mexican Ground Beef Casserole. Layer rice in the bottom of a 9×13 inch pan. Top with half of the ground beef mixture, half of the cheese, and repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Bake. This easy ground beef casserole is done after 20 minutes in the oven!
- Prep the toppings. Mash the avocado with some sea salt and slice the green onions.
- Serve! Your easy Mexican casserole with ground beef is READY-TO-EAT!
Toppings for Ground Beef Rice Casserole:
Tons of fresh toppings are the best for this ground beef taco casserole! You can really go in any direction you like, here are some ideas to get you started:
- Mashed avocado or guacamole – You can make a full guacamole, or keep it easy by simply mashing some avocado with sea salt. Add a squeeze of lime if you have it.
- Sliced tomatoes – Diced or sliced, any tomatoes work and add a hint of sweetness.
- Thinly sliced lettuce – Add some nutritious crunch to your zucchini casserole with ground beef with romaine sliced as thin as you can.
- Sour cream – Creamy. Cool. Enough said.
- Diced onion or sliced green onion – Use your favorite onion here: red, white, or green.
- Salsa or hot sauce – The best way to add some heat to your Spanish rice with ground beef casserole.
More Easy Mexican Recipes
This might be the easiest ground beef and rice Mexican casserole you’ve ever had, but I’ve got plenty more “Mexican” recipes for you! They are Mexican-inspired, not authentic. 😉 But full of flavor.
- Mexican Tater Tot Casserole – Way more Minnesota than Mexican, but SOOOOO good! Another great easy ground beef casserole.
- Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls – You know I love the slow cooker and these chicken burrito bowls are no exception. Let the slow cooker do the work, then pile high with fresh toppings.
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas – The easiest way to make chicken fajitas! Let the oven do the work. Packed with protein and veggies.
- Chicken Tacos with Guacamole – Chicken tacos without the taco seasoning. These tacos are LEGIT.
- Easy Weeknight Beef Tostadas – If you love Mexican taco meat, you’ll love these tostadas.
- Vegetarian Tostadas with Beans, Corn, & Zucchini – Vegetarian tostadas piled high with summer’s best produce. (But this can easily be made all year long!) It’s a great plant-based, vegetarian meal.
Ok, it’s time to make your Mexican ground beef casserole! Be sure to leave a review, and tag me when you make it so that I can see your creations! <3Print
All the taco flavors your family loves, in an Mexican ground beef casserole! This EASY ground beef rice casserole takes just 10 minutes to prep.
- 1 1/2 cups rice (6 servings)
- 16 oz. ground beef
- 3 Tbsp. taco seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium green zucchini
- 1/2 white onion
- 2 6-oz. cans rotel (diced tomatoes with chiles)
- 1 cup corn kernels
8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- green onions
- Prepare ingredients:
Make rice according to package instructions.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and ground beef to pan, cooking until browned, about 4-6 minutes. Stir in taco seasoning and remove from heat.
- Stir in zucchini, rotel, and corn.
- Layer rice in 9×13 pan and top with half of the beef mixture. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the cheddar cheese and top with remaining beef and cheddar.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- While casserole is cooking, make guacamole: mash together avocado with a sprinkle of salt to taste.
- Serve with guacamole, sour cream, and green onions.
- Rice: Make ahead or use microwavable rice to speed up the prep time!
Keywords: mexican ground beef casserole, ground beef and rice casserole, easy casserole recipes