Mezze platters!!! They make the perfect Mediterranean appetizers or Greek platter of snacks. Let me show you how easy it is to build a Mediterranean platter snack board. And if you want to take it up a notch, add this simple whipped feta dip to the spread, I always get asked for this recipe.
This greek appetizer platter is not only easy to pull together, but it’s also incredibly delicious and a great way to serve Greek finger foods. Below I’m sharing all of my Greek mezze platter ideas. You’ll find a lot of the items can be made yourself – or purchased in the store. It’s up to you.
I love snack/cheese boards. Partially because they are just a beautiful and fun way to present Greek appetizers (or a range of cheese and meat), but also because they can be as simple or complex as you make them. Short on time? Buy prepared hummus! (I do like to add a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle of sesame seeds to both options.)
The process, the presentation, the SNACKS!
Authentic to traditional Greek meze platters? No.
None of the “ethnic” dishes on this site are really that. They are usually inspired by authentic recipes and experiences, but are rarely authentic in execution.
Easy Bibimbap? Not authentic, but still SOOOO good and much less intimidating than the real deal.
Slow Cooker Paella? Definitely not stuffed with fresh-from-the-sea seafood, and made in a traditional paella pan. I lovingly refer to it as paella-for-real-people.
Healthy Salmon Tacos? If I see salmon tacos on a menu on my next (hopefully soon?) trip to Mexico, I’ll let you know. (And I’ll also be slightly weirded out.)
Have you sensed a theme? I’m inspired by the amazing flavors and creations but the reality is that most of the time, I don’t have access to the ingredients, tools, and sometimes the knowledge to truly give these meals the justice they deserve. So I’ll stick to authentically inspired.
And this mezze, or really, meze platter, is exactly that.
What is Mezze?
When I looked up greek mezze platters, I learned that traditional mezze is:
“…a selection of small dishes served to accompany alcoholic is a selection of small dishes served to accompany alcoholic drinks in the Near East, the Balkans, and parts of Central Asia.”
So all this is to say, that while this how-to guide to building a greek mezze platter is certainly inspired by traditional mezze platters, it’s also made with everyday ingredients that don’t require a trip to the greek or mediterranean markets. The mezze recipes below or more of a guide, less than actual recipes. You’re going to love these Mediterranean appetizers!
How to Build an Easy Greek Mezze Platter
The #1 tip for how to arrange a mediterranean appetizer platter is to CRAM THAT PLATTER FULL! Different colors, shapes, flavors, and textures.
- Dips/Spreads. Start with any bowls of dips, olives, etc. Space them throughout the greek platter.
- Meats. Next add the meats. I like to keep them close to the bowls. If you’re using a variety, be sure to put a little section of each meat by each cheese, so that you’ve got a few different meat sections throughout the board with a variety. Or try my salami salad roll-ups.
- Pita Crackers. Fan out chips in a few different spots on the mezze platter.
- Fresh components. Now we’re going to add the fruit and/or vegetables. You want people to be able to pick up one piece and eat it easily, so cut cucumbers into rounds on a bias; cut grapes into little clumps of 2-3; and slice any pears or apples.
- Take a look. Step back and look at your cheese platter. Does it feel and look balanced? With a good variety? GOOD! If not, add some extra crackers or meat to any areas that look open.
- Nuts. Finish with the nuts! This is the last step and you want to fill in any open spaces with nuts. Any place you see the board or platter? Add nuts. I like to use a variety, but check to see what you have in your pantry already! Marcona almonds are a high-end option, candied walnuts are a great sweet and crunchy component, but regular almonds or pistachios work great, too!
More Snack + Meal Board Ideas
Everyone knows board meals are more fun! Try some of these favorites next:
- Trader Joe’s Cheese Board
- Costco Cheese Board
- Salmon Lox and Bagel Board
- Bagel + Toppings Board
- Trader Joe’s Breakfast Board
More Easy Appetizer Recipes
If you like this Greek appetizer spread, you might also like some of these other easy appetizers:
- Ranch Chex Mix
- Grilled Bacon Wrapped Shrimp
- Curry Chicken Wings
- Chili Cheese Dip
- Copycat Chipotle Corn Salsa
Learn how to make a mezze platter full of mediterranean appetizers! This mediterranean greek platter is EASY and a gorgeous way to SNACK!
- high-quality hummus (any flavor will work!)
- tapenade or fresh olives
- labneh or plain greek yogurt drizzled with olive oil and topped with salt and pepper
- dippers: carrots, cucumbers, pita chips
- salami salad roll-ups (simply roll up lightly dressed salad greens into a piece of salami and serve immediately so lettuce doesn’t get soggy)
- nuts for filling up the empty spots
- Prepare ingredients:
Wash and trim fruit and veggies.
Put dips/spreads into small dishes or bowls.
- Place ingredients on a big cutting board or baking sheet. (Baking sheets make it easier to transport.)
- TIP: Put out dishes, bowls first, then surround with everything else.
- Get your kids involved! They can: help lay out board, it doesn’t have to be perfect!
Keywords: mezze platter