Sick of turkey sandwiches? I thought you might be! Time to switch things up with this curried lentil soup with turkey! It’s got different flavors, but makes a nutritious bowl of soup that’s full of protein, fiber, and major flavor. It’s basically a Thanksgiving tradition!
This soup was a total accident.
I didn’t have any leftover turkey – or plans for leftover turkey.
But then on Saturday, we decided to pick up a 15 pound turkey and have another round of Thanksgiving. My thoughts immediately went to leftovers. Can you blame me?
Isn’t that what the days following Thanksgiving are all about? But what if you don’t host and you don’t have any leftovers? YOU MAKE SOME! And really, 15 pounds isn’t THAT big of a turkey. 😉
How to Make Curried Lentil Soup with Turkey:
This lentil soup with turkey comes together easily with those turkey leftovers! (And no worries if you don’t have them, you can also use chicken.)
- Prep ingredients. Dice the onion, celery, and carrots. Mince ginger.
- Saute aromatics. Cook aromatics for a few minutes to soften the veggies, then make a well in the center of your dutch oven and add ginger and curry spices to let them toast a bit, before stirring into vegetables.
- Cook lentils. Add lentils and broth to pot and simmer until lentils are soft.
- Add coconut milk and turkey. Pour in coconut milk and chopped turkey and let heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve curried lentil soup with plain Greek yogurt and fresh cilantro.
Can you Make Curried Lentil Soup with Chicken Instead of Turkey?
Yes, you can easily swap shredded chicken and chicken broth for turkey.
More Healthy Soup Recipes to Try:
If you like this curried lentil soup with turkey meat recipe, you might also like some of these other healthy soup recipes:
- Turkey Quinoa Chili with Black Beans – This easy chili is loaded with nutritious ingredients and made in the slow cooker so that it’s super easy.
- Easy Homemade Chili – No need to simmer this one for hours, my fave kitchen shortcut makes it ready in just 30 minutes.
- Sausage Lentil Soup – Lentil lovers, this soup is for you. It’s ready in just 45 minutes, and the best way to eat healthy lentils.
- Easy Minestrone Soup – Filling, delicious, and loaded with vegetarian protein. (Vegan, too!)
- Chicken Taco Soup – This EASY soup recipe utilizes my FAVORITE (secret) soup ingredient, even though it’s unexpected. Make this Mexican chicken soup in just 30 minutes + serve with fresh toppings!
Helpful Tools to Make Curried Lentil Soup with Turkey:
- Dutch Oven – This dutch oven gets so much use over winter months. Whether it’s to make easy minestrone soup or this lentil soup with turkey, you’ll use it all the time.
- Glass Storage Containers – Store any leftover lentil turkey soup in these glass containers that can go straight from the fridge to the microwave.
Looking for something to do with that leftover turkey? Try this Curried Lentil Turkey Soup! It’s so different than the standards, perfect when you need a change of flavors.
- 1 white onion
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp each: garam masala, turmeric, coriander (optional, if you have them)
- 2 cups uncooked green lentils
- 8 cups turkey (or chicken) broth (or mix of broth and water)
- 1–14 oz. can coconut milk
- 3–4 cups shredded turkey (or chicken)
- plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- Prep ingredients:
Mince ginger if using fresh.
- Heat oil in large dutch oven or soup pot. Add onions, carrots, celery, sea salt, and black pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes.
- Make a well in the center of the pot and add in ginger and curry spices. Let them sizzle until fragrant, about 30-1 minute and then stir into veggies.
- Add lentils and broth to pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 40-45 minutes, or until the lentils are soft.
- Stir in coconut milk and chopped turkey, cook for 5 minutes, taste, and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
- If soup is not thick enough, let simmer with no cover until desired consistency.
- Use shredded chicken and chicken broth if you don’t have leftover turkey.
Keywords: curried lentil soup with turkey,