Step one: make this crock pot chipotle chicken. Next, use your crockpot BBQ chicken thighs for delish sandwiches, complete with melted cheese + creamy avocado. And THEN, turn your slow cooker chipotle chicken into chicken enchilada pasta. (There’s enough chicken for both recipes!)
Cooking chicken thighs in slow cooker are one of my favorite ways to cook them. Always juicy, always full of flavor! Not only do crockpot boneless chicken thighs take 5 minutes to prep, but they are full of flavor. Add as little or as much chipotle peppers as you like, depending on your spice preference! Time to go make this chipotle chicken recipe!
How to Cook Crock Pot Chipotle Chicken:
Easy slow cooker chicken thigh recipes are quite possibly my favorite chicken recipes of all time! Easy. Check. Tasty. Check. What else do you need?
My slow cooker chicken chipotle adobo sandwiches take less than 15 minutes to prep. Here’s how we make them:
- Season chicken. Place chicken thighs in the slow cooker and season with salt and pepper.
- Make chipotle BBQ sauce. Stir together BBQ sauce, chipotle peppers, and garlic. Pour over chicken.
CHIPOTLE PEPPERS: Most of the heat is in the seeds, so you can make this as spicy, or as mild as you like. If you don’t want much spice, simply use the pepper portion and discard the seeds.
- Cook crock-pot BBQ chicken thighs. Cook on high for 4 hours, until chicken in chipotle adobo sauce shreds easily.
- Make sandwiches. Bake biscuits, cut them in half and layer chicken onto bottom biscuit. Top with slice of cheddar, avocado, and top biscuit.
How to Store Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken:
This crock pot shredded chipotle chicken recipe should be stored in the refrigerator once it’s cooled down. It will last about 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
You can also freeze crock pot chicken chipotle. Let it cool completely, transfer to a freezer-safe container, and store in the freezer for 2-3 months. When you’re ready to serve it, let it thaw overnight and then heat until hot in the microwave or a 350 degree F oven.
Chicken with Chipotle Peppers Nutrition + Substitutes:
If you want to swap out any of the ingredients and toppings, here are a few ways you can add even more nutrition into this meal:
- Biscuits – Swap out the biscuits for whole grain or sprouted rolls or english muffins.
- Make it Low Carb – Instead of serving it with biscuits, serve it over cauliflower rice or salad greens.
Get Your Kids Involved:
Your kids can help with this chipotle chicken crock pot recipe!
They can: pour ingredients into slow cooker, help wash veggies and arrange veggie platter, mix together veggie dip if making it from scratch.
More Crock Pot Chicken Thighs Recipes:
If you like the sounds of these chicken with chipotle peppers in adobo sauce slow cooker sandwiches, you might also like some of these other slow cooker chicken thigh recipes:
- Chicken Stroganoff – Just 6 ingredients to make this easy and satisfying dinner. Serve over egg noodles.
- Buffalo Chicken – This is my original ‘cook once, eat twice‘ meal and it’s a classic for a reason! Swap out chicken breast for chicken thighs.
- Chicken Burrito Bowls – So many nutritious ingredients packed into one bowl. You won’t believe how easy this one is!
Helpful Tools to Make Easy Crockpot Chicken Thighs:
- Crock Pot Slow Cooker – This one is basic, but I love it more than the fancy one I used to have! It does everything you need it to do.
- Extra Large Sheet Pan– These baking sheets are perfect for any baking projects – and clean up super easily!
Crock-Pot Chipotle Chicken
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
Not even 15 mins to prep this crock pot chipotle chicken! My slow cooker chipotle chicken turns into easy sandwiches + a quick enchilada pasta skillet!
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
3/4 cup bbq sauce
1/4 cup chipotle peppers
4 cloves garlic
1 can biscuits (ready-to-bake)
4 oz. sliced cheddar cheese
3 lbs. chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
Place chicken thighs in 6 qt. slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
Stir together bbq sauce, chipotle peppers, and garlic and pour over chicken.
Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
Meanwhile, 20 minutes before you want to eat, bake biscuits as directed.
While biscuits bake, slice avocado and prep any sides.
When biscuits are done, cut them in half and lay down a slice of cheese. Top with chicken and sliced avocado. Serve the sandwich with extra bbq sauce if desired.
Nutrition: Includes 1/2 of the chicken mixture split between 6 sandwiches.
Get your kids involved! They can: pour ingredients into slow cooker, help wash veggies and arrange veggie platter, mix together veggie dip if making it from scratch.
Spice level: I kept the chipotles on the light side so that the chicken isn’t too spicy.
Keywords: slow cooker chipotle chicken, crockpot chicken thighs, chipotle bbq chicken thighs
Did you like this recipe? Please leave a review and let me know what you thought! I appreciate it so much.